New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 WSSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Grandfather used to tell me stories about taking deer during the depression with a .22.

I certainly don't want to do that. But I do have a .223 WSM that I would like to try out, along with my trusty .308, of course.

What kind of loads are you loading for taking deer in your .223 WSSM?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't, and won't, have an instantly obsolete .223 WSSM, but it is no different than any larger-capacity .22 centerfire when loading for game animals. Nosler makes a 60 grain Partition which will do fine on deer; they also offer a 64 grain bonded bullet which should also do fine. Hornady's 55 (and better, 60 grain) spire points have a well-earned reputation for holding together on game and would bring down a whitetail in short order. Similarly, Winchester offers a 64 grain Power Point which is designed for game shooting. Any of these which show sufficient accuracy in your rifle will dependably take deer so long as the shot is not at an extremely disadvantageous angle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I own a 223 wssm, but haven't worked up a load for deer, yet. When I do, I'll likely start with the Barnes 55 and 62 gr TTSX. If one of those didn't work I'd look at the 60 gr Partition or the 60 gr CEB Raptor.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would offer is this: have fun trying to follow that horribly small blood trail. And I say that from personal experience: not my rifle, but a friend's. He shot two does with a 60-grain partition out of a .223 and we trailed both of them over a quarter of a mile before finding them. Good solid lung shots, just not much blood.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless

Yea, the same thing has happened to me many times. I remember good solid lung and heart hits on deer with a 30-30, a 30-06, an 8 x 57 mauser, and even a .338 Win Mag where there was just tiny drops of blood here and there, and a long search followed.

I am not so sure it is the bullet, but rather what happens inside the deer after it is hit. If some fat or gristle or hair or bone gets in the wound channel the animal isn't going to bleed as well as one would like.

Of course, I have had many where the blood spewed out like a fire hose with the same type hits.

What kind of powder is everyone using in their .223 WSSM cases?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
The only thing I would offer is this: have fun trying to follow that horribly small blood trail. And I say that from personal experience: not my rifle, but a friend's. He shot two does with a 60-grain partition out of a .223 and we trailed both of them over a quarter of a mile before finding them. Good solid lung shots, just not much blood.

I hunt with a friend who shot more deer with a .22 than any other caliber. he hunted in the Depression. he told me the secret was to brain them, or shoot them in the spine in the neck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my son's Browning 223wssm, we use H4831sc, RL19 and IMR4350, depending on the bullet weight.

A 55gr Barnes TSX at 3,800+fps would be serious to any deer properly hit.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote