New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee collet dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts on using Lee collet dies when loading for one rifle only? Rifle is a Browning blr. Thanks, Optik1

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Lee collet dies, I use them to load .243 (both mine and my wife’s but keep brass segregated), .270 Win and .300 WM. Work fine for me. However, I do full length resize as soon as any rounds chamber with more than a very small amount of “feel”. Also use a collet fie made by Innovative Technologies to remove the inevitable bulge just above the belt on magnum cases.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! Other thoughts?

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FLR generally recommended for lever guns. But if you keep them trimmed you may get by OK. As the last poster indicated, if you start getting the least resistance to chambering you definitely need to FLR. I use the dies in a couple of calibers for bolt rifles. They produce great ammo. But I also use the Factory Crimp Die with them. The Collet Dies don't give enough neck tension to hold the bullet reliably for a hunting gun or for a gun you are not seating the bullet close to the lands.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That's the stuff I don't know!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
The Collet Dies don't give enough neck tension to hold the bullet reliably for a hunting gun or for a gun you are not seating the bullet close to the lands.

Neck tension with the Lee Collet dies is a function of the size of the mandrel. If neck tension is too little (mandrel too big), then simply chuck the mandrel in a drill press and hone it down with some fine sandpaper (or emery cloth) by a couple of one-thousandths for the desired neck tension. "Undersized" mandrels are also available from Lee, but slimming them by the method I mentioned is easy enough.

To assure neck roundness and increase neck tension slightly, I also rotate the case 1/8 turn after the first sizing while still in the shellholder and run it back into the die a second time. This takes only a fraction of a second and results in just a bit more uniform neck sizing.

But the answer to your question is certainly yes, the Lee Collet dies will do fine for ammunition for your BLR. It is a front-locking action which won't allow excess case stretching (so long as pressures are kept to sustainable levels.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. You guys are a world of knowledge!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My routine is to use a body die to FL resize followed by the Lee Collet die. Just seems like the best method for consistency and reduced neck wear. But I do not have any scientific evidence that this works better than other methods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them. They make cases last a hell of a long time, and no need to faff with lube and cleaning.

I have found that some rifles are sturdy enough to allow neck-sizing almost continuously while in others the cases have to be full-length sized once in a while.

Posts: 504 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, thank you all for the great info. Optik1