Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing 25 WSSM problems
 Login/Join

posted
I could use some advice from anyone who has reloaded alot of WSSM calibers. I am having a problem resizing already fired brass. It seems like I keep bumping the neck back and the normal full length round I use in my rifle will not close properly or at all. If I buy brass new brass and resize it everything works fine. Its just already fired brass. I sure could use some advise on what I am doing wrong.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I don`t load any of the wssm cartridges , but it sounds like you don`t have the shoulder bumped back enough.
The shoulder moves foreward when full lenght resizing. The expander also can drag the shoulder out some as it pass`s through the neck, especially if you haven`t lubed the mouth of the brass.
Most die makers suggest screwing the die in the press with the ram raised to the top of its travel until it contacts the shellholder. Lower the ram and screw the die in 1/8- 1/4 turn more and lock it in place. This takes the flex out of the press and helps keep the shoulder where it belongs. Try the 1/8 turn 1st and see if the brass chambers if not add to it until the case chambers with a hint of resistance.

As I said I don`t load these cartridges, but I have heard the brass is very heavy, which if true will make resizing more difficult. If you can see light between the die and the shellholder with a case in it, and the ram at top of its travel, the die may just need to be screwed in deeper.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you so musch for the advise. I will give this a try and let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Joe's advise is excellent and the same that I would give. I shoot and load extensively the .270 WSM, .243 WSSM and 25 WSSM, and had to utilize the same proceedure. After many rounds with all three it still works. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the brass originally fired in the same rifle?

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with my 270 WSM and it's probably due to the sharp shoulder; I agree with the previous posts and would stress to abundantly lube the interior of every case neck. If you cannot bump the shoulder back enough by completely screwing the resizing die, I would suggest you to remove 2 to 5/100 of mm. from the bottom of the die or the upper part of the shell holder, with a lathe.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for this great advise and input. My problem is now resolved and the bolt is closing properly. I was not screwing the sizing die in far enough to bump the shoulder back where it needed to be. To answer one of the questions the brass was fired out of the same rifle. Thanks again everyone!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
...with a lathe.

Because of the hardened surfaces, a grinder may be necessary.

This link may be interesting:

www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/how-bump-shoulder-25025

posted Hide Post
That was a great article on how to bump the shoulder back. Thanks for the input.