New
Find
Notify
Tools

Substitution
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have gotten some interesting leightweight solids in 9.3. The manufacturer recommends Vithav. N130 - 56,0 grs for 9.3x62 and
Vithav. N140 - 65,0 grs for 9.3x74R. Could anyone suggest some Hodgdon or IMR beginning loads as a substitution? I have no experience with Viht powders. The company suggested Rotweil and Norma as substititions....don't have and can't get those either.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
What weight is the bullet? How long is it?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
188gr and 1.172 in (29.75mm)

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
On the burn chart I have N130 is near H or IMR 4198 (though I have heard they are not quite interchangeable), N140 is near Leverloution and IMR 4064 Also Reloader 15.

A different chart lists N130 as faster than H4198 and N140 as slower than 4064 and 4320.

Links for both charts are below.
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burn rates are conducted in a "closed bomb" type testing. They are then compared and listed from that type test. Everything about a cartridge case, that is, shape, volume, caliber change a powders burn rate. In other words the same powder doesn't have the same exact burn rate in different cartridges because of I mentioned above. Also bullet weights affect as do bore conditions.

Your best bet is to see what velocity that load gives you with the powder you had been using and then look at various reloading data for cartridge with the same bullet and see what velocity comes the closet, then work up a load with the new powder starting low and safe. That's not the only way to do it either. You could also select a new powder that most fills the cartridge case and gives the velocity range you want. Cartridges perform better when the powder fills them more then say a very fast powder that doesn't take up much space in the case.

You can go to Hodgdon's online reloading data. Look up your caliber there and see what they list. They show both Hodgdon and IMR powders.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Mate,

Those loads look WRONG.

A quick glance in the Hornady 8th edition shows that for any load they have for the 9.3x74 and the 9.3x62 (with the same powder), the 62 uses MORE powder than the x74. And not 9 grains more 3-4 grains more.

I would be very, very careful following their advice.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
J,
That explains why some charts are so different than others. While I wasn't suggesting straight swaps I can see where it may have sounded like I was.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote