New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll make a wild-ass guess. And it is just that.

Do you check your cases for incipient head separation using something like a bent paper clip?

I'm thinking you may have had circumferential groove of thinned brass just above the belt . . . a weak ring of brass.

If that's the case, the normal pressure on the case as it was pushed into the sizing die might cause the case to deform along the weakened area.

But if that isn't it, I'm all out of ideas.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Just had a second hand Lee fl die in the mailbox, perfect results.......... every time! dancing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
Just had a second hand Lee fl die in the mailbox, perfect results.......... every time! dancing

Great news. I'm happy for you. Thanks for telling us.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Still can't figure this one out! nilly, It was a bit of a confidence knock, after a good few years reloading thru cals, .243/.223/.270/45-70 without regular cock ups, It would be great to finally get to the bottom of it, I have given a handful of fired cases to a buddy who has many many more years, in reloading to try in his dies & set ups, to hunt for clues. Confused

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, never used Redding dies, but, never had an issue with lube dents,or a stuck case either. I've always used a lube pad with the RCBS lube, but I put lube on with my fingers. Ya, it's mucky that way, but I know where the lube is on the case and how much. Also used the dry mica lube on a brush for the inside of the necks.
I have expander dies that I use instead of the buttons on the resizing dies also, not nearly as sticky as using the buttons, and I have less trouble with runout that way.
I finally got around to picking up some Imperial lube,have to give it a try one day to see if it is any better or different to use.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A trip back to Redding might be in order for them to check the die. While it probably doesn't happen often there could be a problem, and or they can hone the die to fit.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
A trip back to Redding might be in order for them to check the die. While it probably doesn't happen often there could be a problem, and or they can hone the die to fit.

Might get around to having it checked/honed locally sometime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Please read my post on page one. Do not think for one minute that Redding Dies are totally without fault. They do make a good die and the workmanship is usually excellent. Do yourself a big favor and send them back to Redding and have them checked out. If they return them and say that they are in specification, then you know that you are doing something wrong With all the dinking around you have been doing, it sure seems to me that the dies are out of specification.

Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Steve,

Please read my post on page one. Do not think for one minute that Redding Dies are totally without fault. They do make a good die and the workmanship is usually excellent. Do yourself a big favor and send them back to Redding and have them checked out. If they return them and say that they are in specification, then you know that you are doing something wrong With all the dinking around you have been doing, it sure seems to me that the dies are out of specification.

Hoot

+1 Give them a chance to make good . . . and to perhaps find a correctable fault in their shop.