Notify
Tools

plinking load ... 270 WSM!?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
Hello!

A friend wants me to load for him Plinking / Practice loads for his 270 WSM.

Any experiences with such loads with ( cheap ) 130 and 150 grs bullets?

I would think a medium burning rate Powder ( N 140, 2520, 4895, ... ), loaded 10% under Max should be good?

TIA for any Help, Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
It appears to me that you need to discuss with your friend what it is he/she wants in a plinking round. If reduced power and recoil is more important than accuracy or if accuracy is primary but reduced power and recoil is a goal.

I, for my own use, used H4895 in my 30-06 with a starting load of 60% down from maximum and worked it up to find an accuracy that was acceptable to me. It all depends on what your friend is after.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
he wants to shoot the "Running Boar" stage, which is several rounds at 50m , and as the thing is running fast, 2 or even 3 MOA will do, but important is cheap and extending barrel life.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are probably the cheapest most quiet, light recoiling loads that have been tested and published for the .270 WSM.
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%2...%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf
I have tried the 100 gr Hornady SP loads and they were very mild and decently accurate in my Model 70 Super Shadow.
Now, good luck finding some H-4895.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
THANKS!

That was, what I was looking for!

Is the: Hornady 270-6.8mm .277 110 gr V-MAX™ with Cannelure the 6.8 mm SPC Bullet?

GREAT Idea!

Hermann