New
Find
Notify
Tools

group shape
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just tried some differentn reloads, they all grouped well verically but they were strung out somewhat horizontally. I noticed that on right side of my barrel was in contact with the stock near the end of the stock. I couldn't get a dollar bill thru there. Could this be the reason? Also do you just "hog out" the stock or can you shim it up a bit off the pillars? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure could, and more than likely is.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also do you just "hog out" the stock or can you shim it up a bit off the pillars? Thanks

I dunno if I'd use the phrase "hog". Mebbe piglet would be more appropriate. Wouldn't be messin' with the pillars, no sir.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked the barrel cold and I can slide a piece of paper in from the action to the last 1 1/2" of the stock. I think I will remove that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chain, Whatever you do, it will require your "loosening" the stock screws and re-tightening them.

So, before you break out the backhoe or chainsaw, try this:

With the rifle setting on the recoil pad in front of you, loosen the Stock Screws. Then hold some pressure against the stock with your finger tips(so it is pushed toward the tight spot side), hold the stock there and re-tighten the Stock Screws.

Tighten the Screw closest to the muzzle "tight", but not so tight as to strip it out. Tighten the screw nearest the Recoil Pad "snug" but not as "tight" as the forward screw.

And if you have any in screws inbetween those two, just tighten them enough so they won't fallout and get lost.

There "might" be enough movement as the stock settles into position to allow what you are seeing. And try it there to see if that corrects the issue.

If it is a Termite Food Stock, you might want to consider tossing it in the Winter Wood pile for burning and get a real home-grown synthetic stock.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
An interesting question. Seems we're assuming here the forend contact is the cause of the horiz. stringing. Maybe so (or maybe not?).

Or are we saying that "free floating" is always the best for max. accuracy. If this is true, why do manufs. use some forend contact?

Well chain, have fun and let us know what happens...please.

Oh, how about more details on the gun, ammo, gunsmith, etc. and

WHEREABOUTS IN MICH. RU?

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun is .300 win savage. It has an after market syn stock. I noticed it was tight on that side when I put the stock on but I didn't realize it was that tight. The loads I was working with yesterday were 200 gr. Tripleshox and 200. gr Accubonds. I think they were 68 and 68.5 grs of RL 22 respectively. The more I investigate it seems that the pressure on the barrel is horizontal from right to left near the last 1 1/2" of the stock. I live just west of exit #310 on I-75. If you know where that is. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Releiving the side pressure won't be a bad thing anyway. Some light barrels like a little UP pressure from the forend to damp the hormonics.
Your about 100 miles north of me, but I couldn't identify exit 310 unless I drove there first. I'm having a pre-season coffee/BS session at my place (between Tawas and West Branch) on the 13'th, if you (or anyone else) are interested PM for directions.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am temporarily displaced in Santa Fe NM. I will be muzzle loader hunting in Hale, in Dec, though. I fixed it by loosening and moving and retightening I think. I will bed this winter. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I adjusted the stock screws and it is alot better. I shot a couple 1" groups with 68.5 gr RL 22 and 200 gr Accubonds. Thanks alot guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don'tcha just love it when a good plan comes together?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
I adjusted the stock screws and it is alot better. I shot a couple 1" groups with 68.5 gr RL 22 and 200 gr Accubonds. Thanks alot guys
Hey Chain, Good for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote