Find
Notify
Tools

Help! 416 Rigby reloading; Same POI?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted
I have been reloading 416 Rigby ammo for a friend that will return to Africa in September. We are using Hornady FMJ's & Rn Inner-bonds, Nosler Partition and Swift A-frame (all 400 grs.) The Woodleigh 410 Solid is the only bullet that is not in the 400 gr bullet. Our goal and hopes to have these shoot to the same POI. Currently the A-Frame and Nosler shoot to the same POI while the Horndady solid shoots 1" lower than the Noslers and A-frames. While the Woodleigh shoots 1" low and 1 1/2" to the left of the bonded soft nose bullets POI.(all shot @100 yds). The soft points are all loaded with the same powder and grains. The solids are three grains less powder. The Soft points are chronographed at 2198 FPS while Solids are 2150 FPS!
Any thoughts or suggestions, experience on this project. I know A-square markets their Triad with claims of all three shooting to the same POI. However, after waiting 6 months and several phone calls without any ammo delivered we decided we needed to get own with our "Pig-killing." The bullets above are the ones we have settled on using Nosler for lion, Swift & Hornday FMJ for Cape Buffalo. If you have any experience you would care to share it is most welcomed. Thanks!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Play w/ the seating depth & powder charge, you may or may not be able to get them exact. For me, if my solids are landing only 1" out @ 100yds, that's fine, I'm probably only shooting solids @ 50yds & less anyway.
My .404 is set up this way. I'm on @ 100 w/ 380grNF & 1" low w/ 400gr Barnes monosolids.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know A-square markets their Triad with claims of all three shooting to the same POI.

Every rifle is an entity unto itself. I don't know how A-Square could possibly guarantee that 3 loads will shoot to the same POI in every rifle. I did a lot of playing around with my Rigby and found a combination of Woodleigh Softs and Barnes solids would shoot to the same POI. I also found a load of Swift A-Frames and Hornady Solids that shoot to the same POI. It took more than a little bit of tweaking the load and seating depth to come up with the magic combination.

The silver lining is that you'll spend so much time shooting from the bench that you'll think your rifle is a pussy cat when you finally get to shoot from field positions.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote