New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for Lubaloy FailSafe bullets??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need 230gr. .338 bullets. Don't want the moly coated. Any ideas who has stocks of the lubaloy bullet??

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seen them in the 2003 cabelas shooting catalog.Good-Luck

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
michauxii - I recently discussed the Lubalox/Moly coating matter with a Winchester Rep. Here is the story that I got:

- Lubalox FailSafe bullets will only be available in factory loaded ammo.

- Moly coated FailSafe bullets will only be available in component bullet sales.

- You cannot get factory ammo in moly and you cannot get component bullets in Lubalox.

I mentioned that Cabela's is listing Lubalox in their component bullet list. According to the rep, for 2003, Winchester is not making Lubalox available in their component line, you can only find them in their factory ammo. [Confused]

This is a problem for reloaders because many do not want to mess with moly coated bullets. Shooting moly requires a different break in routine, load development issues, and a different cleaning routine. I would not recommend going down that path unless you really know what you are doing with moly.

One alternative is the Nosler Partition Gold in non-moly. I have been shooting these bullets for a long time. They have a similar construction as the FailSafes and in my opinion they perform as well in the field. In addition, I have found a little better accuracy with the Golds on the range.

[ 03-18-2003, 18:44: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
michauxii,

Ross Seyfried wrote something about the FailSafe bullets' coating in a recent Rifle/Handloader (I am not remembering which magazine now). Ross is a FailSafe fan, and he mentioned that Winchester initially used the black Lubaloy coating for sales "sex appeal". Then later they found that the coating helped lower pressure they were observing with the bullets.

I am guessing that they put the moly on the component bullets because they don't want reloaders complaining about high pressure (actually about lower velocity).

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: Contacted Cabela's. Customer rep. told me that "moly" and the "Lubalox" coatings were one in the same. Uh-huh... Called Nosler.. Told me they "might" have been available under the winchester brand. Asked him if he knew of any old stock with a dealer. NO Goodbye And that was it. Looks like Partition Gold..... Oh Well..

one of us
posted Hide Post
michauxii,

I've got 2 boxes that I could be persuaded to part with. Interested?

[ 03-20-2003, 02:51: Message edited by: onefunzr2 ]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OneFun, I'm interested.. Be gentle!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make me an offer, including shipping.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to call Cabela's during the day, and ask for help in relation to the FS bullets they have in their catalog. According to their catalog, the FS bullets they sell are Lubalox coated.

The sales representative can transfer you to one of the knowledgeable people on the floor, and that person can read the label on the box. Most sales representatives don't know the answers to technical questions.

I have used Lubalox coated FS bullets for the past 8 years, but I only have a few left. Once I use these I won't buy any more, unless Winchester (or Combined Technology) comes up with other than a Molybdenum coating. That's a reason why I just ordered a few boxes of 225-grain XLC. I will give the XLC a try, and if they work with my .338, I will use them from now on.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, contact me on my PM-will make you an offer on the Fail Safe .338 bullets. Thanks.. [Razz]