New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for a .243 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've gon through every manual and article I can on the .243 For years I shot 45 grns of imr435o behind 85 grn bullets. Now I'm a little confused as so many experts mention loads but not with the powder I orginally started with. So what is the best powder or load for a .243 with 85 grn bullets ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I find something thats works for me I stay with it. I feel the writers have to keep trying someting different to keep the articles coming and a paycheck. There are alot of new reloading items coming out but I don't know if they are any better.
For a bulk supply I picked a common powder years ago that would cover most calibers so I could use it in anything should a short suppy arise. It my not be the best for some but it will work in a pinch.
I buy smaller amount when I try something new or limited reloading for a perticular rifle.

Posts: 110 | Location: Southwest Utah | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-3031 From 30.0 grains to 37.9 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H414 is often listed as giving highest velocity. I have used it for years in the .243 and it works fine.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350 , or IMR 4831

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the load you were using works well for you then continue using it. My best load with that bullet is with IMR4895, and I'm not about to change. Preferences vary over a period of time.
Just in the past few years we've seen the introduction of Varget, and the excellent line of
VihtaVouri powders just to name some. Some powders get added and some get dropped with each new edition of a reloading manual. Just be certain to write down what works well for you.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so happens I'm heading out today to test some Magpro and 100gr Sierras in a .243 Ruger No1. [Smile]

[ 06-23-2003, 17:30: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 4831 in the .243. I got some very good accuracy with it (3/8 - 1/2 MOA) in a Win 88.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote