New
Find
Notify
Tools

flash hole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was recently reloading some mixed cases of 45acp and noticed that the speer cases had a bigger flash hole than the others. I found that win,fed,rem have what appear to be the same size. Will this make a difference in the reloads? I'm only making plinking rounds but wondered if I should be more careful with the speer brass when approaching max loads

Posts: 63 | Location: NM | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that a larger flash hole will alter the burn characteristics of a cartridge, all else being equal.

For modest loads (plinking), mixing case brands is probably OK, but it is prudent to develop maximum loads with a specific brand of case, and stick with it. In fact, if ANY component changes, back the powder charge off by 10-15% and work up again.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In theory, maybe, it might make some slight difference. But, primers are designed to shoot out a narrow stream of ignited powder through a small hole. That narrow stream of fire is much smaller than the smallest primer hole thereby having little or no effect on the load. Jim

Jim

Posts: 13 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew! I'm glad we cleared that up. I was worried there for a second...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Wnchester makes a "non-toxic" ammo for indoor use that has a large primer flash hole. I don`t know if Speer is following suit but could be. The stuff of Winchesters is supose to be fine to load, the same as regular brass.
Sorry I can`t be of help.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kammerer:
... That narrow stream of fire is much smaller than the smallest primer hole ...
Hey Jim, Could you expound on that a bit?

Either you know something about the Primer Dynamics I don't know, I misunderstood what you are saying, or you are full of beans.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Of the three options I'll pick the third one.

The flash hole acts much the same as a carbuerator jet in old automotive carbuerators. Alter the size and you'll alter the load. Alter it enough and you could have gun parts in your body.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote