Find
Notify
Tools

Lee vs. Redding neck sizers??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
So which die will do a better job of neck sizing?? Also I see that the redding die requires the use of seperate bushings, which bushing would I need to neck size the 22-250 case, also if I order the redding type S die in 22-250 would it already come with the right bushing??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushings must be purchased separately. You first measure the neck of a loaded round and subtract .001" from the smallest average size of a few rounds. You may want to get a bushing that is also .002" smaller. The web site explains it clearly.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing. The Redding TYPE S full length bushing die works great for me. The neck sizing die works the same as far as the measurements. The purpose of the bushing is to eliminate over resizing as in a standard die.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cummins cowboy:
They both do a good job of neck sizing. The big difference, besides price, is ability to adjust neck tension. If this isn't a concern for you go with which ever you prefer. I'm a Redding fan, but there are many who swear by Lee.

The best way to determine the "correct" bushing for a Redding die is to seat bullets in 3 or 4 of your cases. measure the diameter of the dummy cartridge's neck. Average the number. Subtract .002". This is a good starting point. A .002" under bushing will provide light to moderate neck tension. If you want more grip on the bullet use a .003" or .004" undersized bushing. Remember to experiment, each rifle/cartridge is unique.
Also don't forget as your brass work hardens you may need to change the bushing. It will spring back more.

Redding does not include bushings with their dies. They state they don't know what bushings a reloader may need. Example is someone who is neck turning for a tight necked chamber.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
c c

The Lee Collet is much simpler and fool proof (helps me out). The Redding Type S Neck Sizer may do a better job. I have one in 30-06 and spent a lot of money, even got a special titanium bushing. Played with it for a while and still got significant runout (this was a couple of years ago before neck turning, good brass...etc.) and decided to try a Lee Collet.

Thinking about trying the Redding Bushing Die again, but why? The Lee Collet is easy and works.

You ought to try the Lee Collet. It's cheap and if you don't like it you haven't lost much.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote