New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 weatherby load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was recently trying to find some loaded ammo for my 460 weatherby for my upcoming safari. I have tons of 450 gr barnes tsx bullets but my ph is suggesting that I find some flat nose monolithic solids for this hunt. It appears that barnes quit producing their flat nose 500 gr bullets and a-square went out of business. However nosler still has a flat nose monolithic solid. The only problem is that nosler doesn't have load data for a 460 weatherby. Barnes has load data for their round nose. They state to use 118gr of RL19. However when I reference the 460 load data on this website it states to use 122gr of RL 19 for the 500 gr hornady round nose bullet. the hornady is a lead filled solid and the barnes is spun brass. I am wondering why the difference and what should I use as a max when reloading the 500 gr nosler bullets in my 460

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After consulting with barnes i have decided to load the nosler flat nose 500 gr solid with 107 gr of h414 powder. It still puts the bullet in the powder even at the minimum charge but im going to try it. Any suggestions before i shoot them tomorrow?

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I have about 74 Speer 500 gr.AGS bullets. They have a flat nose on them.

I was playing around with my .460 and the Speer pills went through about 40" of Douglas Fir wood blocks, traveling very straight. While I was shooting through end grain, they looked like they could have gone much farther.

OTOH, some inexpensive 500 gr. RN FMJ didn't do nearly as well. They yawed early and only traveled half as far. For what it's worth.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just shot those nosler flat nose solids through 38" of pressure treated power poled stacked back to back. The 500 gr bullet traveled completely through and buried 1 ft into the bank of sand behind. I dug up the bullets and there was nearly no deformities on them. I reloaded 107 grains of h414. They grouped 1" at 100 yds and were moving a 2500fps. Im just amazed at the accuracy and power of these bullets. Sounds like I could have punched through much more based on your results on a big arse tree. Im stopping right there. I think that 75lb Okavango elephant Im going after in September will fall quite nicely to my 460 weatherby with those bullets.