New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Pro-Hunter ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read that they are accurate but don't hold together too well. I am trying 140 grainers in my 7x57 but have not had much field experience with them. Can people tell me how they have they performed on game? Thanks.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used the 7mm 140gr, but I've used Pro-Hunters in .257 & .308. They work as well as any other non-premium bullet on deer and pronghorn antelope. The largest game I've shot with them was caribou using a 30-06 w/180gr. It worked well, but didn't exit. I found the bullet intact against the far side of the hide.

Your 140 should work well at the velocity that your 7x57 will give it.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Can't say about the 7mm 140gr,but I have used the .308 150gr in both a 300 WSM an RUM, worked very well.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Have used them a lot in my 45/70 as have my mates (300 gr HPFN pro hunter) quite soft but 300 gr of failure on feral animals gets the job done.

Thye shot very well for all three of us in our 45/70's.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow hunter in our camp, and his wife, have been using the 140 Sierra in their 7 x 57's for 20 years now with excellent success.

However, when I tried them in the 7 mag, I found them to be too soft, and do tremendous damage.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used the Sierra Pro Hunter in .308 on Whitetails for several years, loading them in a .308 Win and a 30-06. Taking 17 in 17 shots -- ranges from 20 feet to 120 yards. I have always gotten full penetration with a shot on the shoulder. Expansion is very good, with the exit hole being tennis ball to softball size on the off shoulder. I probably would not use them on larger game-- but they have been fine for me on deer.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't have any problem with the 140 Sierras on deer at 7x57 velocities. That's one reason the 7x57 works, deer with cheap bullets, heavier premiums work for the bigger game.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the Sierra 140 Pro Hunter staying together at 7X57 velocities, it will work just fine.

In fact, call Paul Box at Sierra and ask about the fellow that shot a huge Alaskan Brown Bear with just such a load a few years back. The guy could not stand any recoil and took his 7X57 loaded with 140 Sierra's and killed a heck of a large bear.

While I am not sure I am that brave, I have seen the Sierra Pro Hunter work quite well in a number of rifles.

My dad has shot one hell of a lot of game with a 300 Wby Mag loaded with 150 grain Sierra's.

More recently he has been using the 140 grain 7mm bullet in question in a new 7 WSM. I have seen him shoot a number of wild hogs with that thing and the bullets have performed well. As I recall he has gotten complete penetration on every hog he has shot with it. I usually shoot 160 Nosler Partitions in my 7mm mag, but I am not sure the hogs can tell the difference.

I think you will be well pleased with the 140 Sierra in a 7X57.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Under 2800fps they work fine as do most std cup jacketed bullets. I used them (150-165gr)for deer in my 30-06 with excellent results.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have always worked for me on deer size animals with the exception of a couple of times in the last 50 or so years...Thats all reloaders had back when,nobody else made bullets except some factory stuff now and then...

Given todays good bullets that are fool proof I see no need to use Sierras anymore..HOrnadys has interlock, Speer has Hotcore and both beat the heck out of any old cup bullet.....

I just use Nolsers, Woodleigh, Northfork and a few other premium bullets these days..the cost of a premium bullet is the cheapest insureance one can buy to save his hunt IMO, to shoot cheap bullets is foolish......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used that specific bullet in 7mm's for quite a while. I loaded it on the light side in a short barreled 7mm RM for woods whitetails with good results. My MV may have been around 3100 fps.

If an animal was really big then a shoulder shot may not work at close range.

They are so accurate that I keep coming back to them. I rate them with the 130 Speer Hot Core.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerSeveral of my friends that live in the old home town in Western Colorado have used the 180 grain in 30-06 to take both Elk and deer. Does a real good job. I havn't hunted with them yet but they are real accruate from the bench with constant 1/2' groups.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote