New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load data Cast, plated, jacketed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would you use the same load data for cast, plated, jacketed bullets?

I am trying to find the starting point for some loads. In one case, I have found jacketed load data, when I have lead bullets. In another case I have plated bullets and lead data.

I planned on starting off at 10% less than max load and working up.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the same date for cast, plated, and jacketed can get you in trouble in more ways than one.
Jacketed bullets, bore diameter, pushed to higer velocities, use one set of data

Plated bullets....001" to .002" over bore diameter, pushed to maybe 1800 fps, usually copper coated, could foul bore quite a bit if plating adheres to the rough bore. Accuracy could suffer rather quickly.

Cast bullets, brinell hardness unknown, diameter .001 to .002 over bore dia, plain base for 1300 fps, or gas checked for maybe 1500-1600 if cast hard. Fouling could be intense, but good practice at lower velocities.

You did not mention caliber, or cartridge, so that in itself could create another problem, with bottle necked cartridges, bullet shaving unless you expand the neck of the case with a Lyman M'die to allow easy seating of the cast bullet. Then consider tight neck dimensions on some chambers, and you encounter another problem. Then crimping of bullets with a LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE to offer consistent crimping of various bullets.
Then powder burning rates with various bullet metals, and you then add more powder types to your reloading bench.

So there you have my opinion. With the right cartridge, the versatility is great, but with the wrong one...a nighmare.

Tell us the cartridge you plan to play with.

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets take for example
45-70 in a modern Browning 1886. I have 405gr hard cast bullets, and 405gr jsp bullets. According to all the data I have been able to collect, I should be safe to start loading at 30gr IMR4198 for both then work up to higher velocities. My guess is that my shoulder will give out before the cartridge or the gun.

30-06
I have data for 110gr jacketed loads. I have hard cast 110gr lead bullets. Could I use (Should I use) the jacketed bullet data as a starting point (10% low of course).

45acp and 9mm
I have load data for jacket and lead bullets. I have a supply of platted bullets. For the powders I don�t have, the data appears to be very close. The jacketed load data seams like a good place to start. Right?

44mag
I used the same load data for jacketed and platted bullets. BTW, I worked up the loads seperatly. This just happens to e the most accurate load in my guns.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Data is shown as tested with jacketed or cast. With the 45/70....IMR 4198 or H4198 is fine, just don't push the hard cast too fast or leading will occur.
With the 30/06 you must expand the neck for the hard cast bullets, and the powder charge here will be entirely different for the cast bullet, somewhere in the range of 14 gr of UNIQUE pistol powder. Whereas the jacketed bullet and higher velocities would be best with a medium burning rifle powder, like IMR4895.
Pistols are different again. Powder is much more versatile with any type of bullet. The faster powders work well with cast, medium speed with plated or jacketed. Slower powders for the heavy bullets for the caliber.
Study your reloading books a lot, and you will soon see powders and bullets vary a lot. See which yield the most velocity for the least charge weight. Or observe pet loads and see if there is a common thread there....thats the fun of reloading....

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your first question, no I wouldn't. I would purchase Lyman's [somewhat dated] "Cast Bullet Handbook" as an introuction to cast bullet loads for many calibers. Standard reloading manuals, including Lyman's, will tell you what you need to know for jacketed bullets. And yes, H/IMR 4198 is an excellent CB powder as is AA XMP 5744, Alliant Unique, Alliant 2400 nad IMR 3031. Please note that you use fairly small charges of any of the aforementioned powders, so you must be extremely careful about double charging a case. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks