New
Find
Notify
Tools

How versatile is a 30/06.....really?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that you can get 110-220 grain bullets for a 30-06 but can you actually use them effectively in the same gun? My 30/06 has a 1 in 10 twist. Is there actually an optimal range for this round? I would think you would need a twist that favored light, heavy, or in between and would be surprised if the 1 in 10 could handle them all equally well.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True, the 30-06 covers a wide range of bullet weights, maybe spanning a wider range than almost any other caliber. I think part of that was driven by the "versatility" that is preached about it. The factories kept making lighter (and heavier) bullets to feed the cycle of guys wanting to be more & more "versatile". In my eyes though, it shines with 165 to 180 grain bullets, and performs almost as well with 150's. Anything lighter than that & you need to step down to a smaller, lighter caliber (130's in a 270, 115's in a 25 caliber, etc), and anything heavier you need to move up to a magnum 30 caliber or a larger round (338, etc).

I know the "one gun crowd" may disagree, but that's my take on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska - Every rifle has its own "best bullet" and the 30/06 is no exception. However, this rifle is probably the LEAST particular of anything you'll ever encounter. I had one that especially liked 125 gr bullets...which technically shouldn't be. But over the years as a devoted 30/06 fan, I can assure you the /06 will shoot them ALL well.

As Cold Bore suggests, the BEST will USUALLY be had from 150-180 gr bullets. Which is NOT to suggest that once out of this bullet range things just go to hell. But you might see groups start spreading out 1/4 to 1/2 inch. That's sure good enough for my hunting!

By the way, it's no accident that the 30/06 has achieved its own impressive list of wins at target matches. It is also an exceptional cast bullet rifle and thanks to its popularity in this field as well, there are SCADS of cast bullet choices as well.

So, to answer your question, YES, the 30/06 really does live up to its legendary versatility. I'll take one any day. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It is probably the most versatile caliber available. I have often stated that if you can own only one rifle, make it a .30-06.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Steve, have you tried 62.0 grains of Ramshot Big Game in the aught-six with the Nosler 125 grain BT's? That's been a screamin' recipe in two different 06's I've owned, one newer Winchester model 70, and my newest "keeper," a 1972 Remington 700 ADL.

THE THIRTY CALIBER BALL CARTRIDGE OF 1906 WILL NEVER DIE! [Big Grin]

It's still number one in the world. Yes, the WORLD. RCBS sells more loading dies for the 30-06 than any other chambering, and has done so every year since they've been making loading dies. Some folks find it hard to believe that the 30-06 is very commonly used in Europe.

I agree with Cold Bore and Pecos45 that the 165's to the 180's are best. However, I've found the above mentioned load sub MOA in two different rifles, so the cartridge can be made to work with lighter bullets.

Take care, all

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have tried lighter bullets, but my two favorite loads for the '06 are:

Sierra 168 HPBT
56.6 grains of IMR-4350
Winchester brass
Winchester WLR primer
Clocks just over 2800 fps 15' from the muzzle and give me 0.75" groups at 200 yards.

Second choice is
Nosler 180 Partition
55.0 grains of IMR-4350
Winchester brass
Winchester WLR primer
Clocks around 2750 fps and does groups of around 0.85" at 200 yards.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote