Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmer ?????????
 Login/Join

posted
Need a case trimmer looking at the Forster or the RCBS need help.

Posts: 7 | Location: St Ann Mo | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are good. I don't do a lot of trimming, so the hand crank ones are good for me. you might want a powered one if you do lots of bottlenecked cases.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want one that produces accurate and square trimming get a Wilson. Also allows you to square up the case head.

If you need large quantity (with reasonable accuracy), get a Gracey.

A few others can come close but NONE are better.

muck

[ 09-29-2003, 01:59: Message edited by: muck ]

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are only using a few calibers, you might consider a file and trim die.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Muck said.

There simply is no substitute for a Wilson. Simplicity itself . . . and accurate, as well as relatively inexpensive..

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Forster trimmer (old) and I'm not real impressed with it and will replace it soon. It is difficult to set it to cut the same length consistently.
I saw a thread about trimmers a while back, and someone recommended a LEE case trimmer (cheap and accurate). I'm probably going to try one of these unless someone advises me otherwise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ChefMossy: I know the answer to this one! Buy the Wilson and don't even consider anything else. I am in my 41st year of reloading Rifle ammunition and have learned this lesson repeatedly! Over the last several decades when I visit my friends and we are in their reloading rooms and they are trimming cases with tools other than the Wilson I ALWAYS casually pick up a few of their trimmed cases and measure them. I sometimes have a hard time not laughing!
The Wilson outperforms them all. Like someone else said perfect trimming, square, smooth and very, VERY consistent O.A.L.'s! This tool is capable of many things and yet is very affordable. I look for them in pawn shops and garage, estate sales then I resell them at Gunshows for a profit.
Good luck with whichever you choose but I wish you would avoid the mistakes I have made and go with the Wilson.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS case trimmer and also a Forster. Both work well, and I'd be hard pressed to
express a preferrence. With the proper mandrels I can also turn necks with the Forster and that's a plus, but I doubt that most of us turn necks. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys I think it will be a Wilson

Posts: 7 | Location: St Ann Mo | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drill press and a Lee cutter

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i 've got a Lee with a jig i made to hold the cutter.....It's OK but deburring is not consistant

i've got a gracey---wears out my fingers in a hurry due to having to hold the rear of the brass while pushing it into the cutter.....

I've got an RCBS with three way cutter with drill power....it's the one i use the most...very consistant, no duburring, easy on the fingers....DICK

Posts: 8 | Location: NC | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do not get a hornady.. I just have to measure them all after trimming to make consistent length lots...

one of us
posted Hide Post
For accuracy the file trim die...For big British cartridges, again the file trim die, for rounds to be crimped, again the file trim die...

Otherwise most of the others will do but are not particulary accruate, but good enough for Government work.....

I like the old C&H or the Wilso (the same tool) and the sinclear also...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought a lyman from cabelas (manual trimmer) for around $40 dollars and also bought a poiwer adaptor for it for $14 dollars and it will fit onto any small cordless screw driver.

Posts: 88 | Location: waterloo iowa | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As in so many other things related to reloading equipment and the ability to produce great results...consistent technique trumps equipment.

For high volume case trimming like when I prep 1,000 rounds of .308 brass for HP competition. I use a Lee cutter chucked in my drill press with a hardened tool steel plate clamped to the table underneath. (That round steel guide pin will eat through the soft cast iron of the table)
I challange anyone to take my cases prepped this way and do a better job with a Wilson...or any other brand.

My Forster trimmer works for low volume batches of 100 or under pieces at a time. WIth a little practice and understanding how to adjust it properly it will produce as good and consistent cases as anything.

Its not the equipment (within reason)...its how you use it.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dickwholliday:
Have you tried the carbide cutter for the Gracey?
This will greatly reduce your finger fatigue.
www.bjonessights.com
on the home page click on the carbide cutter pannel. Good picture of the cutter. This removes the pain of changing calibers as well as producing a smoothe clean cut with little effort.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote