New
Find
Notify
Tools

BULLET PULLING QUESTION
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AFTER PULLING BULLETS FROM A LOADED ROUND,MUST YOU RESIZE THE CASE OR CAN YOU JUST SEAT ANOTHER
BULLET OF SAME WEIGHT? AFTER LOADING ROUND AFTER
ROUND FOR A 3006 I FOUND A NEW BULLET THAT WORKS BETTER WITH THE SAME CHARGE OF POWDER.WOULD LIKE
TO REMOVE THE OLD LEAD AND REPLACE WITH NEW.
CAN IT BE DONE WITHOUT RESIZEING? IF NOT I WILL
DO WHAT I HAVE TO DO KEEPING IN MIND ILL HAVE
TO REMOVE THE EXPANDER AND DECAPPER PIN FIRST.

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF YOU'RE USING A CRIMP, THEN JUST SEAT ANOTHER BULLET. IF YOU'RE NECK SIZING THEN RESIZE THE NECK AND THEN SEAT ANOTHER BULLET.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
First, turn off your cap's lock, as it is considered SHOUTING!

Second, you will have to re-size the cases after pulling bullets. Yes, remove the decapping pin, and run the case through the sizer, verify it hasn't gotten too long, then charge, and seat your bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Len, Do NOT remove your expander ball! Just loosen it slightly and pull out your deprimer pin. You stated you were going to remove the ball. If so, that would be wrong. Just take out the pin.

Frankly, I am thinking you MIGHT be able to skip the resizing all together...IF the case neck will still hold the bullet securely and IF the loaded case will chamber in your rifle to start with.

You might try three or four without resizing anything and see. Just gently ease one bullet out and ease the next in. See how it feels and try them in your gun to insure they feel good.

Resizing everything would be the idea solution but if you are going to all that trouble anyway, you haven't saved yourself much. IMHO

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Measure the diameter of the necks with bullets seated. When you pull the bullets, measure again. If you have .001" difference, or more, just seat bullets and go shoot. If not, do as the other posters suggested and re-size the neck.

[ 07-11-2002, 23:09: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Evidently the ammunition you have loaded was/is good enough until you found something new.

My advice is to just forget about pulling the bullets...go out, shoot them and enjoy them, then reload with your new bullets.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! For all the info.
P.S didn't mean to shout.

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote