Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Remington Reduced Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted
Howdy and hope everyone's Thanksgiving was rewarding.

I have been reloading for .35 Remington since 1969. I am looking for a reduced load where I can keep velocities between 1200 and 1500 feet per second with 158 to 180 grain bullets. Use of pistol powders would be a plus. There is a good possibility that chosen bullets may be cast or jacketed. I could do my own experimenting, but would appreciate any help before I go creating some pressure problems, etc.

THANKS in advance and Y'all have a great weekend. Bo

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look into using AA5744. I use it for loads in my 338 Win. and 375 RUM.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique will fill the bill. I use 12 gr under a 358156 GC'd cast of WW + 2% tin for 1650 fps out of my M91 Argie rebarreled to .35 Rem with a 26" Shilen barrel. Excellent accuracy. My plinker is the Lyman 358477 over 3 gr Bullseye for 850 fps. My "mid range" load is the Lee 356-120-TC over 5 gr Bullseye for 1160 fps. All 3 are very accurate.

I hunt with the RCBS 35-200-FN cast of WW/lead at 50/50 and HP'd to 1/3rd the nose length with a Forster 1/8" HP tool. Velocity is 2150 fps over 38 gr IMR 4895.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to take a look at a Lyman loading manual for reduced pressure cast bullet loads.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingTrail Boss, 4759 or5744 might be right. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a 1990 edition of the Hercules Reloaders Guide:
158 Hornady L....15.5 grains BlueDot...1574 fps
170 Sierra FMJ....13.0 grains BlueDot...1300 fps

These loads produce between 22,000 and 25,000 cup.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nilly nillynillynillynilly

Oh no, not the dreaded Bluedot!

nilly nilly nilly nilly nilly

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Howdy fellers and THANKS for the suggestions.

I am also very much open to more involving other powder choices. So far, Unique would be my pick.

Just curious, have either of you ever tried Hodgdon Tight Group? While I presently have around 15 pounds of Unique on the shelf, I will most likely make Tight Group my "go to" powder for light pistol loads in the future, if I live long enough to use up my Unique. One of the few older powders I have never used or stocked is Bullseye.

I also have around 4 pounds of Blue Dot on hand............... is there something wrong with it as per one post?

Some 10 pounds of Red Dot is also on the shelves as are many pounds of Little Gun, Universal, Herco, 2400, and WW-296.

Any of the above powders are fair game for plinker loads in the .35 Remington as I don't really want to purchase another powder not already on hand.

THANKS again and y'all have a great Sunday.
"Bo"

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also have around 4 pounds of Blue Dot on hand............... is there something wrong with it as per one post?

Heavens, nothing wrong at all, particularly in a tested load listed by the manufacturer. A few folks on another board can't stand the thought of anyone using BlueDot in rifle loads, even thoroughly-tested loads. They seem to feel that pressures will jump from 20,000 to 80,000 cup without warning. Yet they have never used it....

I use BlueDot in the .223, .22-250, .260 and .338 Mag. Accuracy is usually very very good, recoil is lower than with slower powders. BlueDot bulks up better in the case than Unique and the newer pistol powders like TightGroup so ignition is usually better with low extreme spreads. Feel free and safe to use the loads I posted.

I would steer clear of W296 in reduced loads. It can be very sensitive to loading density and position in the case. You won't have enough of W296 in the .35 Remington to give adequate load density.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:

I would steer clear of W296 in reduced loads. It can be very sensitive to loading density and position in the case. You won't have enough of W296 in the .35 Remington to give adequate load density.

Very good advice !!!!!!!!!!!

I once cut my loads of 2400 in .44 magnum shells for rifle use to around 14.0 grains with a 240 grain cast SWC. WOW.......... I got all kinds of erratic behavior and was also shown by my chronograph figures. This is when I learned never to greatly reduce loads with slower burning powders.............in fact, these loads somewhat scared me.

www.TableRockAngler.com

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss for reduced loads in Rifle or Pistol. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max load of H4895 for a 35 Rem with a 180gr bullet is 39gr @2232. H4895 can be load down to 60%. 60% of 39gr = 23.4gr and 1339.4FPS.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded 8.5gr Red Dot , 158gr LSWC gas checked pistol bullet (National Bullet Co), CCI L/R primer. F/L resize.
A firm crimp on them as I used them in a Remington Model 14 pump and the Lee dies left the neck a tiny bit loose for the pistol bullets when seated.
I don't know the velocity, but I'd hazzard a guess that they'd be in your range.

In the Remington, they would pile into an inch easily at 25yrds for a 5 shot group.
The open rear sight was dead on with the elevator removed from the site so it could go down as far as possible. It had a Lyman tang that I had adjusted for the 200gr jacketed loads.

Once in a while the last round of those cast loads would balk at feeding in the 14,,those short flat nose pistol bullet being the cause. A shake and retry at chambering and you were back in business.

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Fellers,

THANKS so much for the tips. During the winter, I hope to mess around with some .35 Remington reduced loads and hope to come up with something that is pleasant and cheap to shoot. I have plenty of brass & cast and jacketed pistol bullets. There is a 336C and a 336 Marauder in the rack that will love them.

Y'all take care and Merry Christmas to you and yours. "Bo"

www.TableRockAngler.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BoCash3:

Right out of Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition: Red Dot
#358430 (150g) 8.5g 1390 fps / 11.0g 1615 fps
#358430 (195) 8.5 1280 / 11.0 1495
#358315 (206) 8.5 1240 / 11.0 1440

I'm not familiar with #358430. Either it is cut to specific weights or there is a misprint in my book. It lists the 150g at 2.215" oal; the 195g at 2.215" also. The #358315 is 2.500" oal.

You might like the following article, too, although it really doesn't speak to the 35 Rem directly: http://surplusrifle.com/articl...ilbosskiss/index.asp

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
nilly nillynillynillynilly

Oh no, not the dreaded Bluedot!

nilly nilly nilly nilly nilly

and it didn't attract Hot Core..

he must be out slaying his monthly 3 deer a day quota..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote