Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Questions on loading for the .338-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I started with Federal GM 06 brass no problems but switched to Lapua its great no problem and goes through a die like butter. I have never had your problem.Wish you luck

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob1SG stole my reply. I have used the Federal Gold Medal Match with ZERO problems. I have reloaded some of my FED brass 6 times already. Never ran into the problem you described.
I'd check my DIES against the case dimensions for the .338-06 in one of the loading books. Make sure that your neck is being sized enough and/or the ball on the decapping pin isn't too large.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Frank, as usual has a good point. Try sizing w/o the exp. ball in place & see if things straighten up. Then you'll have eliminated one variable.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a die problem or a one-time brass problem. I have used both '06 and 35 Whelan brass with good results except for one batch of nickel plated brass which neck split after about the 3rd loading. I now use 35 Whelan exclusively just to have a headstamp unique (even if inaccurate) to that rifle.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
OK I have done a little work at the bench and here are the results so far: LoL

I have three current reloading manuals that show case dimensions for the .338-06 and all three show different outside case neck diameters! Hornady defines the neck as .370"; Speer specs .365"; Nosler comes in at .369".

Now I did what a few people have suggested and ran some newly reformed .30-06 cases, (3 of each: Federal, Winchester, Remington brass and Remington nickle) through my RCBS FL sizer die a second time but with the expander ball removed. All the cases, from 3 different manufacturers were all reformed at .360" outside neck diameter, which is tighter than the "loosest" dimension from any of my manuals and as such should give the expander some case to push back out . With the expander ball in place all the cases measured .362" outside neck diameter. On a whim I ran a Winchester .270 case through the die and it came out with a .360 outside neck diameter. The expander ball btw measures at .334"

I think that as the tolerences are so close here, a matter of only a couple thousands of an inch, that even the slightest thining of the case necks is being noticed. I am going to have to pick up a ball micrometer and check to see just how much thinning is going on.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

So those of you that load for this cartridge what parent brass do you use? I find there is not enough brass thickness at the neck which in turn results in the inside diameter being too large to get a good grip on the bullet. Have they had better luck by necking down .35 Whelen brass rather than necking up .30-06 brass?

Yes!! Use a case that has to be necked DOWN, rather than UP, to increase case neck thickness! The .35 Whelen should give you the extra metal you need to get a good grip on the bullet!! You may also find that your expander ball may need to be reduced a little in diameter - to .335" or .336".