Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Id ,
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I scored 60 rds of once fired WW 308 brass at the range . clap

Also got some 308 stamped "FNM 81-39" . Can anyone id it? FN ammo? I havent weighed it yet.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just weighed it 30 grs heavyer than WW and its berdan primed so its trash

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I believe the FNM headstamp is Portuguese military ammo, but I could be out in left field. All I know is that it is European and all I ever saw was Berdan primed.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
NATO 7.62 brass and .308 Win civilian brass are not made to the same specs. One has to withstand NATO machine gun specs, not the other. It doesn't mean it is bad, just different and they are not interchangeable in terms of reloading.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FNM is indeed Berdan primed Portuguese military ammo. The 7.62 I had stashed was plenty hot and dependable. I haven't attempted to reload any of it as 7.62 is plentiful, but as far as Berdan primers go that's no reason to junk high quality brass. I scrounge Berdan primers for old favorites like 6.5X55 and 7.5 Swiss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.62x51 NATO brass is so EASY to get with boxer primers tha it's a complete waste of time and effort to reload it with berdan primers.

Especially since yellow brass is worth $0.70/lb at the moment.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote