THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is 13 grains of Lil'gun a compressed load for the 22 Hornet?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 13 grains of Lil'gun a compressed load for the 22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have just begun reloading for the 22 Hornet. I settled on Hodgdon's Lil'gun with 45 grain Nosler SPBT bullets. Most of the data I've been able to find (which is from several sources) lists starting loads of 12 grains and maximum loads of 13 grains of Lil'gun. None of the sources lists 13 grains as being compressed, yet my cases are nearly full with 13 grains (about .060" from case mouth). I have used my Frankford Arsenal Micro Scale (electronic) and my Lee balance beam scale and with both of them 13 grains fills my cases. I have double checked the case lengths and they are correct. Does anyone have experience with the Lil'gun in the Hornet--is it a compressed load? Or, are both my scales wrong?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,

I doubt that both of your Scales are off. I use RWS .22 Hornet brass and it obviously holds much less powder than other brands of brass as even starting loads tend to fill the cases very nearly up to the top of the case mouths.

Haven't used Lil'Gun, instead AA-1680 but the most I can get into my cases & seat a bullet on top that won't push itself out of the case is 11.5 grs.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
13.0 grains of Lil'Gun is a compressed load in the Hornet and close to it in the K-Hornet. I load for both and use Lil'Gun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 13gr, in Rem cases it's less compressed than in Win cases, but still compressed even tho Hodgdon data doesn't show it as compressed.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Just wanted to confirm my findings. Thanks!

Red C.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrHenley
posted Hide Post
Yep, definitely compressed. That is unless you seat the bullet waaaaaay out.

I would not recommend compressing Lil'Gun. Ball powder has a tendency to clump when compressed, and it is progressive.

I had problems keeping the pressure up with Lil'Gun. I had some extremely accurate loads, sometimes...

I loaded my Hornet with Lil'Gun exclusively for a few years, but now I'm leaning towards IMR-4227. Velocities are not as high, and on good days a Lil'Gun load was slightly more accurate than a 4227 load. But on bad days the Lil'Gun load sucked, and the 4227 load hung in there.

Here is the results of a shootoff between a load using Lil'Gun & 40 grain VMax vs. a load using H4227 & 35 grain VMax.

40 Grain VMax Load
OAL: 1.848" which is far from the lands, and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Powder: 12.9 grains of Hodgdon Lil'Gun
Primers: CCI BR-4 Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers.
Velocity is very temperature dependent. Anywhere from 2800 fps to 2950 fps.

35 Grain VMax Load
OAL: 1.755" which is out near the lands.
Powder: 11.4 grains of H4227
Primers: Winchester WSP - Small Pistol Primers
Velocity between 2805-2835 fps.

40 grain VMax groups (Average 0.67")

35 VMax groups (Average 0.73")

----------------------------------
"You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" ( - Kaiser Wilhelm speaking to a Swiss Militiaman)

"We will shoot twice and go home."

Posts: 26 | Location: Columbus, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrHenley:
Yep, definitely compressed. That is unless you seat the bullet waaaaaay out.

I would not recommend compressing Lil'Gun. Ball powder has a tendency to clump when compressed, and it is progressive.

I had problems keeping the pressure up with Lil'Gun. I had some extremely accurate loads, sometimes...

I loaded my Hornet with Lil'Gun exclusively for a few years, but now I'm leaning towards IMR-4227. Velocities are not as high, and on good days a Lil'Gun load was slightly more accurate than a 4227 load. But on bad days the Lil'Gun load sucked, and the 4227 load hung in there.

Here is the results of a shootoff between a load using Lil'Gun & 40 grain VMax vs. a load using H4227 & 35 grain VMax.

40 Grain VMax Load
OAL: 1.848" which is far from the lands, and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Powder: 12.9 grains of Hodgdon Lil'Gun
Primers: CCI BR-4 Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers.
Velocity is very temperature dependent. Anywhere from 2800 fps to 2950 fps.

35 Grain VMax Load
OAL: 1.755" which is out near the lands.
Powder: 11.4 grains of H4227
Primers: Winchester WSP - Small Pistol Primers
Velocity between 2805-2835 fps.

40 grain VMax groups (Average 0.67")

35 VMax groups (Average 0.73")

Nice groups for a Hornet. What are the particulars on the rifle?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion here, depending on what you want to do with your hornet. To improve pressures and combustion you could try a heavier bullet and you could try a cardboard wad under the bullet. I can fit 14.4 gr Lil'Gun behind a 46 gr bullet into my R-P cases, fired in my Anschutz's (horrible!) chamber. Yes, it is highly compressed and yes, it does clump (it's a swine to get out if you spill some and need to recharge the case). I do suspect, 'though, that this compression in a hornet case, helps keep the pressure down (not a K-hornet).

P.S. don't just load up 14.4 grs. My loads depend on my loading technique to keep pressure down. (Try 13.1gr Lil'Gun behind a 60gr Hornady SP - figuratively speaking).

Oh yes, that 60gr bullet wreaks havock on hares and is pretty flat shooting - as a 175yd magpie found out! (Trajectory :- plus 1 inch at 100yds, zero at 165yds).

quote:
... Velocity is very temperature dependent. Anywhere from 2800 fps to 2950 fps.
Very interesting, DrHenley. That could explain why my first few shots strike point of aim followed by an opening up of the groups. Mmmm.... I wondered about that! But then again, maybe my barrel is just st#ffed! I will be recrowning it soon.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrHenley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Nice groups for a Hornet. What are the particulars on the rifle?

Browning 1885 Low Wall, 24" octagon barrel. 6-18x50 Bushnell Banner

Just like the animated picture:

----------------------------------
"You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" ( - Kaiser Wilhelm speaking to a Swiss Militiaman)

"We will shoot twice and go home."

Posts: 26 | Location: Columbus, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good info!!!

Red C.