Find
Notify
Tools

Failure to feed with 45 ACP reloads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I thought I had solved some FTF problems but they still keep coming back to bite on the butt.

I have around 4,000 H&G 68 cast 205g bullets that I traded for and I have tried a more aggressive taper crimp, a slight roll crimp, and a combination of the two (that seems to work the best) but there still is the round in each clip that FTF.

I've messed around with overall cartridge length, polished feed ramps, and burnt incense but still get that "stinker" round. I'm shooting these out of a Glock 30 and a Paraordinance 14-45.

Any other deep dark secrets for items that I've overlooked and should try?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Does the 1911 have an 8 round magazine, these are pretty picky I've come to find out. I had the same problem with a sw1911 with the factory ACT mags. The first round would always hang up and try to nose dive. I found that when I loaded just 7 rounds this didn't happen. You shouldn't need a roll crimp, or too much taper crimp for that matter, just enough to remove the flare and a bit more. I'm not familiar with glocks and whether they are double stack Hi-cap mags, or single stack. Is your OAL close to 1.230-1.240? If you search the threads for the topics I started you'll see allot of good advice on this very issue from these folks. Good luck!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic883:
Does the 1911 have an 8 round magazine, these are pretty picky I've come to find out. I had the same problem with a sw1911 with the factory ACT mags. The first round would always hang up and try to nose dive. I found that when I loaded just 7 rounds this didn't happen. You shouldn't need a roll crimp, or too much taper crimp for that matter, just enough to remove the flare and a bit more. I'm not familiar with glocks and whether they are double stack Hi-cap mags, or single stack. Is your OAL close to 1.230-1.240? If you search the threads for the topics I started you'll see allot of good advice on this very issue from these folks. Good luck!

Both of those shooter use double stacked mags and I've tried 3 Glock mags and 4 Paraordinance mags and it doesn't seem to mag related.

I've used all kinds of OALs from 1.220 to 1.240 with no luck so far.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Have you ever tried a Lee Factory Crimp die on the last station?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Assume that is a SWC? If so, try seating bullet w/about .060-.070" of bullet shoulder exposed.

I started loading SWK's for a Kimber 1911 with shoulder flush w/case mouth and wouldn't feed worth a dime. The exposed lead seems to help the round slip over ramp without a hitch.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also found aol with cast and Jacketed bullets of 200 gr or less to be critical with my P14. The integral feed ramp is steeper than on throated M1911s.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote