New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 139 gr. Interbonds in 280
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Dad uses them in his '06, the 150's seemed to be slightly overexpanded. Stepping up to 165's helped a bit, but of course there is a slowdown if that matters. I think they may just be hitting too fast, and the only solutions would be to slow it down, use a heavier bullet, or use a tougher bullet. Too bad because I love them in my 6.5, they work perfectly at the velocities it operates at.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed three deer last year using Hornady 139gr. SSTs. They seemed to be a little bit on the explosive side for my tastes and I was wondering what you folks thought about the Interbond. I like the idea of a light bullet going fast but not at the cost of the bullet fragmenting. Yes the deer died instantly but I was hoping the IB would hold up better. Any experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I load 139gr SST's with IMR4350 powder @ 3098fps average velocity in my 280 Rem 700 Mountain rifle. Excellent bullet for deer and have also used this same load on large black bears and it's my most accurate 280 load giving 3"s @ 300 yards when everything works right.
I would think that the Interbonds could only give better performance and if I didn't have about 200 SST's left I'd probably switch over to them right away.

Last week my buddy returned from a Moose hunt and was using 180gr Interbonds in a 300 Win mag. He put 2 of these bullets into the left shoulder of a moose @ about 300 yards and both failed to penetrate into anything vital. Seems the bullets expanded to much to penetrate far enough. He got a 3rd shot off @ about 400 yards as the moose was trotting away from him and broke it's spine with this last shot.
Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote