Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS TRIM PRO 3-WAY CUTTER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

Has any one any experience of using these cutters, it looks like both deburring jobs are completed when the case is trimmed to length so should save a lot of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all of the available pilots and one of the cutters, and wished they would build the pilots for handgun calibers.

I use them exclusively when I set up to trim cases in batches of over 100. They are especially great on the smaller necked cases that seem to give hand cramps with any other method.

Once set, I get hardly any discernable differences from one case to the next. I am using them on the mounted Trim Pro Power Trimmer.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I use them often and think they're great.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased one and have used it a few times and it works perfectly. Saves a lot of time...

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am using a .20, .224, and .30 cal. All three work great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I put an RCBS 3-way in the chuck if the mill and a Lee rotary lock case holder in the mill vise. I clamped vise grips on the shell holder to turn it to clamp or release a case.

Per the usual mediocre RCBS engineering, the unit is workable, but not easy to adjust.

I got so I could trim quickly, until I realized that the max length and trim to length in the load book might not be right.

I made a tool to measure the chamber neck space in the rifles.
I subtracted off the chambers excess head space [because the firing pin pushes the cartridge forward that far] and came up with the real max case length.

With the new max case length, almost none of my brass needs trimming.

If I resize with the a Lee Collet neck sizer, I can get 10 to 20 firings at very high pressure before I need to trim.

What does it all mean?
The 3-way speeds up the process, but not as much as skipping trimming.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You need the micro adjustable Vise-grips. Other than that I would suggest a horizontal application like this one. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the rcbs lathe with 3 way cutter in 30 cal cause I shoot alot of 30 cal cartridges. I haven't been that impressed with it. First off my pilot constantly leaves grooves inside the case neck. I contacted rcbs and they said it wouldn't hurt anything. Then I found that my necks arent' always cut perfectly square. Lastly I don't like the sharp angle of the inside cutter and always ran that brass over a low angle deburrer anyhow. Bottom line is that if I had a really big job I would use it but for jobs of less than say 100 brass the good old lee stud and cutters do a great job almost as fast.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OH...and to agree big time with the above poster that said the fastest trimming is not having to do it is really the most correct. I have a set of sinclair throat measuring inserts. I was very surprised to find that many of my guns are about .015" longer than saami trim specs and some even more. I have several belted magnums that NEVER NEED TRIMMING for the life of the case which for me is usually about 6 firings.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I prep new .223 Rem brass in lots of 500 for my AR, and bar none my 3-way trimmer cut the most time. It takes a bit to get it adjusted, but once that's done you're good to go. thumb

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info here. I just got one of the 3-way cutters as a gift from my son. Haven't had a need to use it yet, but will as cases lengthen.

Thanks for the info..

Don