Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm-08 Chronograph data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

...the 120 B-tip in the 7mm-08. ...in comparison to the 140 B-tip? Some hunters are saying that it has a heavier jacket than the 140 and penetrates very well, even on elk-size game.

One of the gunwriters over on 24hr campfire speaks of using it successfully on elk and moose....

Hey Thunderstick, Just walked in and looked at my boxes. Both the 7mm 120gr and 140gr B-Tips I have are in boxes with Red over Green labels on the end flaps. Nosler "used to" change the color code if they changed the bullet, but I don't know if they still do or not.

That said, I doubt the 120gr B-Tips "I have" are built with a HEAVIER jacket than the 140gr B-Tips I have. I'm of the impression the folks at Nosler originally intended the 120gr B-Tip to simply replace their 120gr Solid base bullets(which I still have a few of too). But, they could have changed the Design since I bought the ones I have.

The old Solid Base 120gr bullets did a fine job in the T/C short barrel single-shots in relatively slow cartridges like the 7mmTCU(necked up 223Rem). Never shot one myself, but a hunting Guest once mentioned he had one and had good performance with it. I know he mentioned having collected a handful of expanded bullets in the Game he had shot. I remember this because I was thinking, "they couldn't have Exited, and that would be a problem in our Swamps." Since he didn't have it with him on that hunt, I never bothered to aggravate him about that.

Haven't sectioned any of the 120gr B-Tips to check though, so that is just speculation on my part. If that Gun-writer you mention says he has sectioned one and knows it to be thicker, I'll just say it surprises me.

As a side note, there is an interesting discussion on the Big Game Board you may want to read concerning Impact Velocities and Penetration.

As to the 140gr B-Tip being a "better" Deer bullet than the 120gr B-Tip, I'd have to say that is true. When both are fired at a SAFE MAX level, I'd rather have the 140gr one because it has the "potential" to expand and retain more weight than the 120gr version, which means I have a better chance of an Exit.

The 140gr Bullet will have a bit more Recoil, but for the average person, it won't be noticed when shooting at Game. I messed with the 120gr bullets to see if I could recommend them for people needing a bit less recoil and for the young beginning hunters. Keep the shots inside 200yds (50-100yds for the Beginners) and use them in the forward 1/3 of a Deer and the 120gr bullets do fine at 7mm-08 velocities.

I've used the 140gr B-Tips at distances farther than I care to mention and they did fine on our Deer. But, I'd not use one on an Elk, Moose, or anything larger than a BIG Whitetail or Mule Deer. No need to since there are so many bullets available that are "Designed" for the larger Game. Look at the great choices available for those tasks, Barnes, Nosler Partitions, North Forks, Combined Tech(Win and Nosler) FailSafes, Speer Grand Slams, Swift A-Frames and on and on.

I don't understand why there is a segment in hunting that thinks it is a "good idea" to use a Bullet for something other than what it's original Design Engineers intended it for. They seem to take great pride in saying, "I used a caliber too small and/or a bullet designed for paper or varmints to kill a "xxxxx" with."

In my eyes their actions are saying they really don't understand the whole concept of picking a properly Designed Bullet, and coupling it with a proper cartridge to "increase their chances" of making a clean kill. Doesn't mean they won't kill some Game, cause they will. But it is obvious they have chosen to ignore the vast experience base of the Elders who warn against such ignorance.

I just don't agree with using a 7mm 120gr B-Tip, from any caliber, on Elk or Moose.

Who is the Gun-writer who seems to think it is OK to do so? If you would provide a link to that Thread at 24hour, I'd like to take a look at it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Thunderstick, Thanks for the Link. Very interesting read and excellent pictures of the sectioned bullets.

Obviously not going to change Steve's mind about the 120gr B-Tip being such a "great" Large Game bullet. And I can see where it would appear to be foolish to argue with his results.

Of all the shots he listed, the shoulder-to-shoulder shot on the Elk was just amazing to me. The Elk shoulder is MUCH tougher than the flat blade shoulders of the Deer I'm used to killing and yet he mentioned penetrating both shoulders.

I don't know Steve and have no reason to doubt his posts. Even with his success, I still think there are "better" bullets for the Elk and Moose as I mentioned above. Have no desire to go off and argue about it though.

Thanks again for the Link.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to use a lighter bullet try this.

My brother uses a Barnes 120gr in his 7mm/08 and I assure you it is very devistating on deer. As I'm sure you know, Barnes says you can use a lighter bullet if you want, and still get good penetration but I think that part of why they recomend this is to get higher velocity where there terminal performance is better.

So here is a way to use a smaller bullet and still get one of the best killers out there.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post