THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanest in an AR: Benchmark, Varget, or H4198?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to load 1K+ rds of 223 for an AR using Speer case, BR4 primer, 55gr FBHP Dogtown bullet, and one of the three powders listed in the subject line (already have ample supply of each).
Intended use will be in local 3 gun comp. and plinking at the range. I'm a clean freak and doubt more than 200-300 rds will be fired between cleaning.
Which of the three powders burn the cleanest (less fouling in the action and least junk blown in my face with the latter being more important)? I shot some test loads this afternoon and it seems all three powders exhibit acceptable accuracy pushing the bullet 2500-2600fps w/chrono 10' from muzzle. Shooting I did not notice much difference between the Benchmark and H4198 but there seemed to be more offensive gas/smoke from Varget, but it could have been the wind direction changed blowing it more in my face, but the wind had been pretty consistent from my back.
Please, only constructive reply's and no recommendation of a powder other than the three listed.
Thank you in advance.
Billy

Posts: 32 | Location: NC | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't find any of them especially dirty, but have switched mostly to Ramshot TAC and X-Term for loading my ARs. They are clean and meter very well, which is a major plus IMO when loading large volumes of rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which ever one burns at the highest pressure will be the most completely consumed.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cleanest burning powder I have used in the 223 has been AA2230.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For 1k and above I would load WC844

It meters very good and has pushed more 55 grain bullets
down an AR tube than any other powder there is

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Check into CFE223. It is supposed to be very clean, and produce high velocities. Was designed for the AR's.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I beleive that if you load the 223 to near max that most of the powders I use, or you use will burn clean. It's when you use starting loads that seem to be dirty burning!

Steve

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I loaded some Varget in my .223 bolt action and did not find the accuracy and the velocity that I was looking for in that caliber.

I think I just ran out of case space before I reached what I was looking for in a .223 and switched over to RL-7 with great results.

That said the Varget is a great performer for me in a 22-250 and again i think that is a function of having more case space for a slower burning powder than I was looking for. Accuracy with that Varget in the 22.250 has been great. I use Varget also in a .243 with 55 grain bullets and it is the go to powder for that combination with great velocity 4050fps and very good accuracy. I haven't noticed that either gun using Varget seemed to be very dirty at all.

My only factor of moving on from Varget in the .223 was velocity.

I've heard great things in the smaller centerfires from those fellas using Benchmark. Also I buddy of mine is using H4198 in a .223 and a .243 and likes the accuracy as he is not too concerned with velocity.

I've been using Xterminator from Ramshot in my AR with 55g bullets and like that powder for both accuracy and velocity.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Varget seemed to work best with heavier bullets in my 223s - 69gr +. H4895 and Benchmark work better with bullets of 60gr and under. This is on average and not cut and dried.
Benchmark overall seems a bit cleaner but none of them was truely dirty in my opinion, and I use both BenchMark and H4895 in my loads depending on the bullet I plan on capping them with.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting BM in my AR. Seems to be very clean.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I loaded 50rd of Benchmark under the 55gr FBHP. Will try it when I get a chance. I expect it will be acceptable, just wanted others opinions since I wanted to use powder I already had on hand.

Posts: 32 | Location: NC | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote