THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    has any one used "light" bullets out of their 270...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has any one used "light" bullets out of their 270...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking for any one who has used lighter weight bullet (ie. 100 or 90 grain). i am thinking about using a 270 weatherby for calling coyotes and hunting mule deer. the speeds that are listed are phenominal. any one care to comment......... thanks mark ps. if you were in the market for a 270 weatherby would you buy one in a ruger #1 or a sako trg?

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Back in the '60s, when I lived in PA, I had a woodchuck load using 100gr Speers behind abt. 64 gr of mil. surplus 4831, or 53 gr of 4895 for velocities of nearly 3500fps. The 4831 load was a 'tack driver' , and it left a really, really good blood trail.

For the .270 Weatherby, same old "Speer Reloading Manual, Number 3," called for 79 gr of 4831 for 3753fps, or 75 gr of 4350 for 3767fps.

Have wanted to try the 100 gr ballistic tips as they should be devestating on long range varmits, but not much opportunity here in NC.

Please note, the above loads are somewhat reduced in current manuals. Good luck.

<Fuzz>
posted
I have a load for my 270 Win. useing H414 and 100gr Hornadys. Muz. Vol. avg. 3350. It's a very accurate load for my gun.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favourites. We use a 110 gr HV bullet in the 270 Win and Weatherby at 3600 fps and 3800 fps. The bullet has a BC of 0.450 and we shoot up to Kudu with it. In the 270 Win start with 57gr of H414 and a magnum primer and work up to 3600 in a 26" barrel. For the Weatherby, start with 77gr of Rel 22 and a magnum primer and work up to 3800 in a 26" barrel. To paraphrase the old saying: Put that down your pipe and smoke them!

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glenn:
Have wanted to try the 100 gr ballistic tips

As far as I know, there is no such bullet. Am I missing something new? I checked the Nosler site and didn't see it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
RSY...you're right! Don't know why, but somewhere in the black hole where brain cells used to exist, the 100gr Bal. Tip. appeared. Maybe it was just wishfull thinking.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Glenn:

I was just perusing one of the bullet posters on the wall in my shop and saw that there is, indeed, a light polymer-tipped bullet available in .277"...Hornady's 110-grain V-Max! This should suit your needs just fine, I would think. Hornady is usually easier than Nosler on the pocketbook, too.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
RSY...thanks. Have added the V-Max to the Feburary project list. After a summer of trifling my time away on fishing, I've got a lot of catching up to do on loading, sighting-in, making lists, memorizing Cabela's and the myriad of other important tasks in preparation for this Fall's hunting season - which starts with grouse in just a few short days in PA. (which reminds me, I wonder if I have enough 7 1/2s ?)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

I've used the 110 V-Max on Springbok - very effective provided you don't hit a bone.

I can't remember the MV off hand I'll get back to you.

It is an accurate bullet too

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Crow>
posted
I used to load for a brother-in-law's Savage in 270 Win. with the 90 gr. Sierra HP. They shot under 1/2" in his gun, with devastating results on groundhogs, to say the least. If I remember correctly, it was a stiff load of IMR 4350.......

Rich in VA