New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for both Elk and Mule deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was invited on a Elk and Mule deer hunt in colorodo. This will be my fist time being out west let alone hunting Elk and Mule deer. I hunt these Whitetails and blk bear pretty bad here in Pa, but this will be a totally new adventure for me. I am going with a group of guys, and we will be hunting private land.

About 4 years ago, when i was 14, I bought my self a Rem. 700BDL SS/DM in the 7mm Rem Mag. To this date, it is by far my favorate rifle for big game hunting. Currently I have a Bushnel trophey 3-9X40 on it (Really couldnt afford a Nikon or Leupold after forking out $800 on the gun). I need some help on pick a new scope in probobly 4-12 or somewhere around there. I like Burris and Nikon the best in Silver.

Not only do i need a new scope, I would like to work up a load for Elk and mulies. Right now I am using 154gr SST's on whitetail and black Bear. THey work very well for me, and are very accurate in my gun. I have some Sierra 175gr. SBT's laying around that i could work with, buti have herd about the sierras comming apart on heavy game like Elk.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated for this youngin. I graduate high School this year and will be starting college in the summer so that i can hunt in the fall, when i herd about this option i was thrilled to death. I finally get to ride along to colorodo with the rest of my family and friends. Thax again Ryan

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
As far as the scope, I would not put a silver scope on a spot and stalk rifle. Way too loud. Put a nice 2x7 Nikon on it, and go with that.

As far as bullets, I shoot 130/140 gr. copper bullets at elk and deer. If that is not your cup of tea, it's hard to go wrong with a Nosler partition.... say a 160 gr or 175 gr. Load it over H4831, and you should have a consistent load for when it gets cold. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Load 160 gr. Partition and never think twice about it. There is no need to go up in power for a scope. There is no advantage to a 4-12x over a 3-9x. Upgrade your scope from a quality standpoint if you wish but you do not need more magnification. I think a Leupold 2.5-8x would make a perfect scope for hunting East or West.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded the 154gr.SP and 162gr. BTSP Hornadys and the 160 gr. Grand Slam for others to use on elk in 7 Rem. mags. All bullets have worked well but I'd lean toward the Grand Slam if elk will be on the menu. Load bullets tough enough for elk and there won't be any problems when a muley is in the scope!
As far as a choice for a new scope. Don't bother with the 4-12, get the best 3-9 you can afford. I've hunted in CO and WY all of my life and the only time I've needed more than 9 power on a scope is when I'm after prarie dogs!
That's my advice,
Elk Country

[ 03-26-2003, 20:15: Message edited by: Elk Country ]

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I live here in the west and shoot both Elk and Mule Deer every year. I use a lot of Nosler Partition and am playing with the Barnes X bullets. It is hard to go wrong with either one.

Premium bullets are not neccessary, I've shot my share of animals with standard Rem Power Points and Winchester Silvertips. But the cost just isnt that much more to buy the premiums. Use something in the 160 g range and you'll do fine.

Start running some stairs and get in shape :-)

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry too much about a fancy variable. I can afford anything I want. My big game rifles wear a 4X Leupold, a 6X42 Leupold and a 3-9X33 Compact. The only reason I picked the Compact is because it's a ground squirrel and rock chuck rifle as well as a big game rifle.
I hunt some of the driest, barest country found anywhere, and have for years. I've used everything from the 2.5-4X B&L Balvar 4, to the 6.5-20X Leupolds over the 47 yrs I've hunted here in the west. I just don't need them, and I've found the 4 or 6X scopes offer some real advantages.
I would second the Nosler Partiton as a great, reliable bullet. Elk are much bigger and tougher than deer. No fanny shots on elk, unlike deer. Even with a good lung shot, they can go a surprising distance. You want a blood trail to help find them.
Make sure you have good mounts. I see far more mount problems than scope problems. I do not trust the rear windage screw mounts that many use. That rear screw doesn't bite the scope ring very much and can pull loose under stress.
Get in shape and practice. Allow plenty of time to hunt, and get used to the area. Get the best maps you can. I much prefer the USGS 7.5 min. Topo maps. This is big, wide open country out here. Make sure you dressed properly as well.
You will love it. I haven't gotten anywhere near enough of it yet. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a young eastern boy who just went west last fall for the first time, I'm afraid its in my blood now!

The three of us all took 7mm mags all with a handload we found to be quite accurate in all. It consisted of 160gr. Nosler Partition, 62.5 gr. Reloader 22 powder, Fed 215 primers, in Remington cases. Obviously approach with caution, but this is a half a grain off max in my manual.

It worked fine on 3 mule deer and two elk!

Elk are tough critters, but I found Mule deer to be no more difficult to anchor then our whitetail deer.

As to scope, I have a Leupold Vari X II 3-9x50, that I will give you a great deal of in you are interested. I'm just not a fan of the large objective lens. A lot of folks have helped me out along the way, I would be willing to return the favor [Smile] !

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Biathlonman on bullets and scope. I've killed elk from 25ft. away to 350 yrds. with my 7mm. This rem 700 7mm with veri x II 3x9 and 160 gr. nosler partitions get used in some of the tickest brush out here on the coast and then also works very well in the open country I hunt in Montana and Idaho.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Speer Hot Cores in 150 from my 270. same bullet in 30-06 180 and 200 grainers in my 300 mag with no bad experiences. I try to avoid shots directly into the shoulder bone as I prefer to dump my bullets energy into the lungs and heart rather than into the shoulder steaks. I do recommend that if the elk appears mobile to make a second shot quickly into the same area for insurance. I have seen elk go a long ways hit with all types of guns if not hit properly. That said the 150 grain Nosler partition is my hunting partners favorite elk bullet in his 7MM Rem mag.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
160gr partitions. Then use the same load when you get back home, and you will be ready to go West the next time.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx evryone for your information. It is greatly appreciated.

I have 30 or so factory 160 partitions laying around so I will have to pull them and give them a try. Powders i have to choose from are RL22, H4831, and IMR7828. I have recived excellant accuracy with H4831 and the 154 SST's. On a good day, I can get a .5" group and 100yards, and they really do a number on these eastern whitetail.

Biathlonman
What manual are you getting that data from? Is that a grain over, or is that a grain under? I think i will try the 160's with all three of my powders and see what i can come up with. I'll post my results and let evryone know how they do.
Thanx again...keep the comments rolling

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am another fan of the 160gr NP in the varrious 7mags as an all-round load for western hunting. I like RL22 or IMR7828 for highest vel. w. exc. accuracy. Leave the 4x12 scopes on a combo varmint/deer rig & stick to the 2x7 ro 3x9 scopes.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that 62.5 is a half a grain under max for Reloader 22, but please don't quote me on that, I don't have a manual here in front of me. One rifle I had showed pressure signs at 63 so I backed off to have one load for all 3 rifles. I believe I went from dada in the Accurate arms freebe manual, although I have seen quite a bit higher charges listed places. I believe thats it, its been last summer since I worked much with the 7 mag though.

I didn't have much luck with IMR 4831.

The Leupold scope I have. 3-9x50, matte, duplex, comes with rings and scope caps for $235. We can work out payment plans or something if you are interested.

[ 03-27-2003, 00:42: Message edited by: Biathlonman ]

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten very fond of IMR 7828 with Nosler 140-grain Partitions. Nice trajectory, low recoil, good penetration.

Tom

Posts: 14459 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Biathlonman,
It always is interesting how rifles can vary in the amount of powder they will except. I have a standard Rem. 700 with a factory ss barrel made about 19663-64. Now the throat is in excellent shape - not shot out. In my rifle I shoot a load of 68grs. on R22 with a 160gr. Nosler for 3145fps.
Cases last at least 8-10 times(primer pockets).
Just thought I would mention this as I find the 5gr. difference interesting. Burning rates can vary from lot to lot in the same powder.
Call em in close_____Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Depends on the elk, a cow shouldn't need as much killin' as a big 900 lb. bull. If it is cow/small bull & deer, I'd say 160 gr. Nosler Partition or for bigger elk & deer, a 175 gr. TBBC or Partition.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a good reliable 2x7x38 or 3x9x40 is plenty of glass. Work up a good load for 160gr grand slams or partitions whichever your rifle shoots best and use it for everything.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Budweiser>
posted
redneck7mm
I use the 160gr Nosler Partition w/ 63.5gr of
Reloader 22 - Rem Case - CCI mag primer.This is a very accurate load in my rifle.REDUCE THIS LOAD BY 10% and work up slowly as it is a HOT LOAD.All rifles shoot differently. But this data might be usefull to you .
Straight Shooting
Budweiser

P>S> Good luck on your Elk hunt