Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Dutch, slow or fast twist barrel on your .223 WSSM? Thanks, Tom

Posts: 97 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Tom, it's a 24", Pac-Nor, three groove, nine twist barrel.

So far it stabilizes everything I've stuffed in it, including 80 gr. Noslers, but I shoot at about 5,000 feet elevation, so we're talking 85% air density. Still, even poking along at 3,000 fps, the Noslers fly straight. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, I've got a .223 WSSM barrel on order from Sharpshooters for my Savage 10FP(.300WSM), 24" and a 1x8 twist. I was just wondering if you had any advice on powders you've tried with the heavy bullets? Not a whole lot of stuff out there, at least I can't find much besides Hodgdons site. Thanks, Tom

Posts: 97 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
So far, I've tried h4831, 7828, RL22, Magnum with the 75 Amax / 80gr Nosler. The RL22 seems to be the clear winner. Just under 3300 fps with absolutely no signs of pressure, and .5 MOA at the "nodes". The others seemed about .2" larger (5) at their best. If you do a search here, one of the posters ran a Quickload for me, and the simulation was within 3% of the velocities I got.

I'd rather have used H4831 due to the temp stability, but the pressures were quite a bit higher at the 3300 fps velocity I was looking for.

Next range session, I will do a primer test. I've been using CCIBR primers, but have some 215M, and 210's loaded up to "see what I can see". Unfortunately, range time has been difficult to come by this fall. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote