THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies and presses - are makes interchangeable?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With Christmas coming up, I'm getting a growing hankering for a bullet seating die with some form of calibration, rather than the "screw it in and fiddle" technique.

On the assumption that such calibration would only work properly if the die was always mounted to the same depth on the press - as it would being determined by the thing that holds the case, are different makes of dies and presses interchangeable or are the threadings different between for example Lee and RCBS?

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're interchangable. They all have the same thread dimensions until you get to the weird stuff like the 50 BMG. I use RCBS, Lee, and Redding dies in my RCBS rockchucker press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay - thanks for that.

Now, do "calibrated" seating dies (the ones with numbers up the depth adjustment) produce a better result than is achieved with a bog standard ordinary seater? My technique is to gradually wind the seater in until I get the desired cartridge overall length measured against calipers and to measure each round on the calipers.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
I like to mix and match my self. I use Forester Neck Sizing and Micrometer Seating dies and the Hornady New Dimension FL Sizing dies. All in a Rock Chukar press. Slim

<SlimL>
posted
Sorry I didn't reply to your second question. The Forester die that I use, for every .oo1 marking on the die, seats the bullet .001 in the direction that the die moves. Redding dies are the same way. Be sure to use a Bullet Comparater when measuring bullets length. After you have figured out the depth of the chamber of course. Slim