THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can I Substitute Magnum primers for Standard Pistol?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I Substitute Magnum primers for Standard Pistol?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just acquired a Dan Wesson 1911 after swearing off 1911's a while back. Only large pistol primers I have are 500 (5 boxes) of CCI 350s. Can I substitute safely? Concerns? Suggestions?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can, Just be aware you may have to back off max loads when using the magnum primers. Accuracy may not be as good or it can be better, Only trial will tell.
I have used CCI 350 magnum pistol primers in some of my rifles with good effect. Just watch for pierced primers when used in a rifle. I've used them for range shooting in my rifles due to I have a lot and not that many standard RIFLE primers.

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hipshoot, For me, handgun reloads are for practice only, and therefore never close to max. Of course semi-auto's need to cycle reliably.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. You'll never know the difference.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Done it many times during primer droughts

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cut back a couple of grs. and work back up, usually one gr. is the difference, but be safe and cut two then go forth if you must...SAme advise for rifle powder between std and magnum..In many cases however its not necessary as the mag primers in rifle seem to raise pressure about 2000 PSI.

I recall on my first mod. 29 44 mag. running out of std pistol primers and substituting mag primers back in the day..all the cases came out trimmed and ready but only half as long at they were before I shot them..sticky cylinder too but hammered it open with my holster end...I came to the conclusion it was a good practice at all!! I noticed also the double action trigger pull was about 5 lbs. harder than usuall...Be sure and test a cylinder full at home.. homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote