Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 mauser loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
i have a WWII issue K98k mauser that i am reloading for. i am using 195 grain hornady sp bullets, winchester cases, and WLR primers. factory ammo shoots well in this rifle. i started handloading for the purpose of shooting the 195 gr to the same point of impact (or close) as the factory ammo (which is 170 grain). the problem i'm having is the point of impact is roughly a foot high at 50yds, and 8"-1 foot high at 100 yds. i am using the military iron sights. has anyone ran into this, and has any loads worked up for the same bullets with IMR 3031, IMR 4064, or IMR 4895 powders that will shoot to the same point of impact as factory ammo?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that what you are seeing might be from barrel whip. Different loads will have different barrel transit times, and hence exit the muzzle at different points in the barrel vibration arc. This can have very puzzling results, such as moving the POI up when going to a slower load.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Are the factory rounds printing at the sighted point of impact, or are they high too? Bear in mind that most battle rifles were sighted at the armory to use the std military load (which is hotter than the current stuff from Remington), and that sighting was usually a couple inches high at 100 yds. That way the soldiers could "aim for the enemy's belt buckle" even when they were way out there and have a better hit probability. Back then, they thought the typical engagement distance was 300+ yds out.

If new factory loads print right at the aimed point, it's most likely because they are pretty slow. Check the claimed factory ballistics from their web page. Have you tried any of the real 8mm loads, from military surplus? You might want to compare how those hit compared to your reloads, and judge from there. Denton is right though, barrels can do weird things, especially when they are wrapped with wood secured by metal bands out to the muzzle - no free floating there.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which factory ammo are you using? The reason I ask is that Federal, Remington, & Winchester factory loads rarely exceed 2,400fps in deference to the still extant J-bore (.318") Mausers. Is it possible your handloads exceed that velocity? Barrel whip may be a factor as may the two action bedding screws if they are loose. One last thought, if you'r using the inverted V Mauser sight, you may want to replace it with one from a Swedish Mauser (essentially a straight post) as it will give you a much better sight picture. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
byf42,

Another thing to consider. The much heavier bullet may be spending more time in the barrel, resulting in recoil being more advanced, and causing it to impact higher at short range (50 - 100 yds).

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best 1903 Turk, 200 gr match king, 47 gr IMR4895, 2630 fps, 1" 5 shot at 100 meters.

52 gr, very sticky bolt, so use the 47 gr load.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 98 mauser battle sight shoots at least a foot high at 100yds (like a springfield 03),
Several people make a taller front sight for mausers.
Elevation is adjusted with a file.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote