New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Received your E-mail AR but response failed - undeliverable.

Try:

wetibbe@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apology to my fellows shooters. I note 102 visits. By way of explanation there is a private off line communication that apparently failed but came back on line. It's still off line but here's the gist of the matter.

Shooting a very powerful rifle. the latest, with reduced loads and home cast lead bullets to save money and concussions.

The research/explanations are really extensive and too voluminous to post here. It deals with Quick Load predictions, pressure velocity, energy and accuracy/reliability.

QL has limited proof data available, for very few bullets, and NO lead bullet information.

In tinkering with various QL loads/bullets I found a very disturbing aspect which I want to expose here for safety purposes and heads up. Note I'm not finished with research but at present there is a very great spread in hardness of all bullets of all construction that causes astonishing variations in pressure levels. Changing from one type to another can range from 56,000 psi to 72,00 psi.

Lead bullets come in a lot of Brinell harnesses. Some hard cast lead bullets can be harder than some lead core/copper jacketed.

To thrash this out and get some conformity to Quick Load accuracy, requiring some force fit, I've gone to the Lee Bullet Hardness device.

Here's a U Tube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZOy77_MJc

Heads up, guys. Bullets comer in all hardnesses which dramatically change pressure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gooday Guys:

Just an update: Let's get scientific.

I spoke to several bullet manufacturers and posed numerous questions. Unfortunately for Quick Load, it didn't fare too well with one respondent. I note two glaring errors/discrepancies reported so far.

Here's more on the Lee bullet hardness tester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR42pgfe1Uo

I'm pretty well complete with the lead bullet hardness/suitability/velocity study.

What lays ahead is the testing of copper clad lead bullets and copper solids. And correlations with the Lee tester.

Unfortunately I'm also finding some very wide disagreements/discrepancies about the Brinell hardness of lead and copper and the attendant mix/alloys which are huge..

It will work out but with some caveats and cautions to expect. The variables in reloading are truly huge and very involved.