THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: How do I know how much force to put on the pre

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do I know how much force to put on the pre
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I broke my Rockchucker with Lee Collet dies.
I had the die adjusted so the max force was when the press went over top dead center. That made the leverage almost infinite, and my 180 lb leaning on the lever broke the casting.

I sent them the casting, and I can just imagine the engineer thinking, "What are we going to do about idiots with collet dies?"
I think they changed the press design.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
When the handle takes on a horseshoe shape, you have put too much pressure on the press.

When the press rips from the bench, you have put too much pressure on the press.

When the bench tips over, you have put too much pressure on the press.

If your reloading room is on the second floor of your house, but you find yourself in the basment after reloading a couple of cartridges, you have put too much pressure on the press.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When the handle takes on a horseshoe shape, you have put too much pressure on the press.

When the press rips from the bench, you have put too much pressure on the press.

When the bench tips over, you have put too much pressure on the press.

If your reloading room is on the second floor of your house, but you find yourself in the basment after reloading a couple of cartridges, you have put too much pressure on the press.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A can of Imperial Sizing Die Wax might supply the answer. Never found anything better.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote