New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to reloading
 Login/Join

<ironbender>
posted
I'm planning to start reloading. I plan to reload 180 gr. Swift A-frames in my once-shot factory brass 300 Win Mag. Is there a "best" powder to start with, or is that a naive concept? Is there a minimum number of powders that I should realisticaly start with? What primer should I use?

I'm at the very beginning of getting set up and not sure of what supplies are available at local shops. I expect I'll have to mail order supplies at some point.

Thanks for any help.

--Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should buy yourself a reloading manual and read it. They have a lot of information about reloading in them.

For the 300 Win. Magnum the Nosler Reloading Guide states that for the 180 grain bullets that RL22 is the most accurate powder tested. They call for Fed 215 magnum primers with 71.5 to 75.5 grains of powder. You should start loading at the low end and build up until you get the load that is most accurate in your rifle. You should look for over pressure signs as you go up in powder loads.

Best powder will vary depending on your rifle but, I've developed some pretty good loads using the Nosler manual best powder tested.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with the manual recommendation. It will help you make better decisions on how you reload for what you want to do with the caliber you are using.

When I buy a new rifle and have no idea of loads for it, I first decide what it's going to be used for and what weight bullet I need to fulfill that requirement. I'll then go to websites like LoadYourOwn (http://www.loadyourown.com/) and see what other guys are using for powder and bullets in that weight. Find a frequently used powder or a guy that has a similar rifle and start there. Don't start at his powder weight though. This should only be used as a reference. Start well below what they are using and work your way up. Often times, the powder will shoot well in your gun as well, but yours will most likely prefer a different charge weight. As you get more into accuracy shooting, try different powders, bullets, primers, and seating depths. It's a never ending challenge...

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.alliantpowder.com check out Rl-25 also if you have not bought the Rl-22 powder yet.