New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 gr. TTSX in 300 winny
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This will be my first go at monometal bullets. When I looked at the Barnes site for load data they only listed two powders, one being IMR4831 and the other RL22. I'm interested in the IMR4831 as some of my other cartridges may benefit from this powder, but I have some H1000 on hand and would like to try this powder for the TTSX. Anyone have any load data?
Thanks,

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at my Barnes #3 manuel and it lists 81gr of H1000 as max with 180gr XFB. I checked several other sources and generally 79-81 was max for 180gr bullets of various mfg. I had more success with RL22 in my 300 Win Mag. In fact I have had good results in 30-378WBY and 300WSM with RL22 and Retumbo in the 300RUM.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I looked at my Barnes #3 manuel and it lists 81gr of H1000 as max with 180gr XFB. I checked several other sources and generally 79-81 was max for 180gr bullets of various mfg. I had more success with RL22 in my 300 Win Mag. In fact I have had good results in 30-378WBY and 300WSM with RL22 and Retumbo in the 300RUM.

Thank you Ed. I checked my other manuals that list load data for lead bullets but wasn't sure it would transfer to the copper bullets. Is the XFB akin to the TTSX? Forgive my ignorance as I know nothing of the Monometals, but am intrigued by those who swear by them.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Sunday, I tried some loads using 180 gr Hornadys and RL22 and RL19 in my 300WM. The RL22 turned out some pretty good groups, and the RL19 not so good. Loads were found straight off the Hodgdon web site, which shows H1000 also.

I like RL22 because it fills the case better than other powders I've tried. Around here, only the most common powders are available, and it can't be ordered and shipped here in small quantities.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Barnes #4 Manual shows 77 gr as max for H1000 180 gr. It shows 80 gr as max for H1000 165 gr.

Not sure about the difference from #3?

I tend to see slightly higher max charge for Barnes bullets compared to other manuals lead bullet loads for the same powders.

I am getting 1" groups and up to 3100 fps with 66 gr RL-17 in 300 WSM with TTSX.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a Barnes technical support person several months ago about the differences between the #3 and #4 manuals. His response was that #4 was done with sammi specs and their attorneys on the range. He suggested that I use #3 data and a chronograph. The ususal advise was to start low and work up, which is the safe thing to do.

wistrapper--I doubt the data for lead bullets would be advisable for the Barnes bullets. I would start loads with H1000 and 180gr TSX at probably 75gr and work up from there.

hunt99--I started with RL17 in my 270WSM and then worked up loads in my 7mmWSM and now I am thinking about reworking my 300WSM loads from RL22 to RL17. I think I averaged picking up at least 100fps in each of the others that I reworked with RL17 with good accuracy.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I using 69.9 gr of IMR7828 in my 300 WM and the 180gr TSX at very modest velocities (2815 fps), but the accuracy is great. I've taken 9 animals with this load from kudu (2) and bull elk to common duiker, distances ranged from 30 yards to 271 yards. Not a single bullet recovered as all have been complete pass thrus. I'm sold on the efficiency of these bullets!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very good groups with H4831 (can't remember if it was SC or not) and Barnes out of my 300 Win Mag.

"The heroes are dead but not all the dead are heroes."

Posts: 89 | Location: MT | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote