Find
Notify
Tools

Cardboard cartridge boxes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted
Anyone know where I can find 20rd cardboard boxes for .270, 7mm-08, and 7mm Rem Mag? Midway is out of stock for all three, and I can't find anything on Natchez or Midsouth.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Midway is the only source I know of. They are made by Frankford Arsenal (which Midway owns) so I wouldn't think that you would have to wait too long on them to be back in stock.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Steel Slinger,

I have been looking for them for the last couple of weeks. Can't find em'.

Do you happen to know what the item # is on the Midway boxes for the 06 based cases and the 7RM case boxes?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Here's the numbers for the 06 and 7RM box. (they list the same box for both calibers)

order of 25 boxes - 679-488
order of 100 boxes - 371-634

If you happen to see them in stock again sometime soon, please let me know. I need some. Right now I'm putting my loads in ziplocs. (I really hate the plastic boxes)

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The boxes are NOT cardboard. Thye are "chip board". Just a bit of info.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
The boxes are NOT cardboard. Thye are "chip board". Just a bit of info.

Aw Come On, We're just calling them as Midway has em' listed, "Cardboard."

Steel SLinger, I'll let you know if I see em'. I've been putting mine in zip-locs too. I do use the Plastic boxes but the lids slip off too easily. The bigger ones w/ the snap tops are ok but, not if you are just going to load up a few for load developement.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I use the 50 round boxes and put the point up this way they don’t get deformed. May I ask why you guys like the paper/chip board boxes anyway? It looks like the paper would draw moisture causing the cartridges to corrode faster. But what do I know anyway Big Grin If it works for you that is all that counts.

BTW when I go hunting I fill the mag and use a nylon cartridge holder that holds 10 rounds with Velcro. I hate shells that rattle when I am hunting. A friend of mine will put a plastic 50 round box full in his pocket; he also smokes cigarettes while he is deer hunting and swears it doesn’t make any difference. I don’t care as long as he is nowhere near me.

Have a great day even if it is at work instead of hunting.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I just prefer how they hold the rounds securely. I see your point about the moisture, but my cartridges don't sit around long enough to worry about that. Also, since I reload for a couple of other people, I don't want to have to worry about them not returning the boxes. If they lose them, or they get crushed, no big deal. They're cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the cardboard ones better too. It is just more traditional. Wish they had tan ones instead of the stark white they use. Anyone have an old timie looking label program for the computer?

The plastic 20-round boxes can be made secure with a computer label. I put the information on the 2" x 3" computer label and put that around the slip top on the bottom of the box.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Steel Slinger I also reload for a friend I tell him to buy a box or 2 of core-locks shoot them for practice give me the boxes with the empties in them then I print them a label and put in on there boxes with what ever load that we find out that works. I used to furnish the brass but found out the hard way when they lost it or did not return it. This way they are out and not me.

The friend I reload for I will have him pickup the powder, primers and bullets. I set-up the press and powder charger show him in the manual how much powder to use. I make him measure out the powder charge for each shell on my Dillon electric scale. He gets to size the shells weigh the charge and seat the bullet. This way he cant say I fudged up his gun and it eliminates the liability of reloading.

I know most people would not use my method but the shooter sure learns to conserve his shells knowing how much work went into creating the perfect load for his gun.

For my own personal use I make up a label and stick it on the inside of the plastic boxes lid it last for years and don’t get dirty or rub off while being transported.

Have a great day.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cardboard--- traditional, where does one draw the line, that's the great thing about all this--THE STUFF! I've got some friends who draw the line at smokeless powder--me you couldn't give me a cardboard box, and I like rangefinders too. I have a woodworking friend who made some cartridge boxes out of wood--works of art....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Swede, I like them because they hold the shells more secure. The plastic boxes have too much slack and the shells vibrate around a good bit. ANd I hate grabbing a plastic 20 round box and the dang lid slipping off or the box slipping off the truck seat and shells going every where. The 50 round snap lids are nice but too bulky just to carry in the hunting pack. Like you mentioned I also like the factory Rem boxes.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I prefer the plastic. But when hunting, I carry an extra mag.

To keep the plastic cases from opening, I use a piece of masking tape. Usually the same piece I attach to my loading block stating what caliber, what batch and which loading. Works fiine at the range.

Example-

22/250 box 5-3

and I have a load sheet with the same info.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.01 cent rubber band solves the slipping plastic top on plastic cases. .99 cents for a 100 at staples.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like stripper clips.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A sure cure for rattling cartridges in a plastic 20 rd ammo box is to place enough toilet tissue in the top of the box to pad the bullet tips. This stops the noise and you have an extra reserve of TP for a real emergency.

I like the rolls of sticky "reloaders labels " available from Midway. They do a very nice job of identifying ammo, and the ball point pen or pencil data is much more water resistant than any computer printer ink which I am familiar with. They may also be placed on the box in such a manner as to hold it secure until it is opened for the first time.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote