Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 to 6ppc???
 Login/Join

posted
I read you can form 7.62x39 down. I tried that in the 6ppc die, and it just smashed the case. I even tried annealing the necks. I wanted some plinking brass for a mini-30 converted to 6ppc. Does anyone know how this can be done? I do .308 to .243 in one stage all the time......
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try neck sizing to 7mm, then 6.5mm. Inside neck ream, then size in your 6mm die. This is assuming that your 6mm wildcat shoulder is at the same length from the rim and the shoulder diameter is the same as the parent case. You should stop short of the neck juncture on each of the neck sizings. If you size down to the neck position on the 7.62x39 each time, you'll have a "gap" between the neck and shoulder junction and possibly a headspacing problem.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

www.aement.com
Home of AccuLoad and LoadTech

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The PPC is an "improved" case, so that's not going to work in one pass. You'll have to take two or three steps like Hockey puck said, and then you'll still have to fireform.

That said, I am still trying to beat some groups shot with WW 7.62 brass.

Another issue is the neck thickness. Reformed brass will be around .270 to .271, while Saami is .270. Neck turning may be in your future, anyway..... HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote