Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 22, 165 gr BTHP, and the .30-06
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to all, new member here! Been lurking about for several days now, reading old posts on load data, experiences, and finding OAL's. I find this forum to be extremely educational so far.

I've been reloading .45 ACP for a bit over a year now, using a Dillon SDB. No experience with reloading rifles, so now I'm diving in.

I have a Tikka M695 Whitetail Hunter, has a 22 7/16" barrel with a 1/11 twist. Using google-fu, I have read that generally the faster (1/10) rates of twist are best with heavier bullets, and the slower (1/12) twists work better with lighter, faster stuff. So since my twist is in betwixt, I opted for a 165 grain Sierra BTHP (# 2140). I have Alliant Reloader 22 powder, and Remington 9 1/2 primers ('cause that's what Midway got in first).

In looking for a beginning point for the powder, I'm finding anything from 58 to 62 grains. I'm inclined to start lower than whatever is deemed to be the "ideal" general consensus anyhow, but don't want to waste time getting close.

So, I'm asking for input if you've loaded this bullet with RL 22. I'd also really appreciate any general information you might have if you own the same type of rifle wrt reloading preferences-though I realize it may or may not apply to my own version.

Thanks again!

Posts: 6 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Slab....I have never used R22 in the 06 but have used I4350 with great results for years. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ted. I shoulda/woulda/coulda bought some 4350, and didn't. Maybe I should just put the RL22 on hold and try to get some 4350, seems there are a lot of recipes out there for it versus for the RL 22...

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
R22 is really a bit slow for "da oughtsix". Any of the 4350s are a better choice. Save that R22 for somthing witha fat case and small bullet.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, and will do. My current rifles: .30-06, .25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, and a nasty little 5.56mm. Smiler

Any of those qualify as good for RL 22?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with the learned posters above. RL22 is often shown in the manuals as being the powder producing the highest velocity with a 165 grs bullet in a .30-06. I shoot .30-06s in 22" barrels, and have found RL22 to produce more of a muzzle flash than I personally care for. I have had better luck with powders like IMR 4350.

Manual data must be safe in older (and weaker) .30-06 rifles, and the .30-06 is loaded to lower pressures than a .270 Win, say. In a modern rifle, you can therefore commonly go 1-2 grains above IMR 4350 manual max for the .30-06. Work up from below and carefully watch for pressure signs in your rifle.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-22 will work with the 180 and heavier bullets in the 06.The 7mm mag should like it I think.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have had exceptional luck with rl-19 in the 0-6.
165's and @60 grs do very well.
you gotta weigh each charge though.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slabsides45:
Gotcha, and will do. My current rifles: .30-06, .25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, and a nasty little 5.56mm. Smiler

Any of those qualify as good for RL 22?

I'v use R22 in my 7 Rem Mag with 160's for years now. thumb

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was never able to get the full max charge in the case and then seat the bullet, it seemed to embed the bullet nose into the seating die. Then to top it off, the RL 22 loads never developed anywhere near the velocity claimed in the manual in any of my 4 '06 rifles.

RL 22 works great in my .416, and some other bigger cased cartridges, but my experience after working with 10 different powders was IMR 4350 gave the best velocities with the accuracy I wanted.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, I'd imagine IMR 4350 was used by the gov't to load for the M1, BAR and other '06 military applications during the 40's. I know it works the best in my .375 and RE-22 works fairly well in my 7mm Rem. H1000 works better in the 7, though.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
The burn rate for RL-22 is only a whisper slower than H4831.

I have used H4831 with 165g bullets in a Pre-64 Model 70 with great luck in the accuracy department. I wasn't too concerned about the velocity with that set up and it worked swell on Mule Deer and Elk.

I would think that you could use many of the applications of H4831 with the RL-22 with some good success.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Just guessing, I'd imagine IMR 4350 was used by the gov't to load for the M1, BAR and other '06 military applications during the 40's. I know it works the best in my .375 and RE-22 works fairly well in my 7mm Rem. H1000 works better in the 7, though.

The military used mainly IMR 4895 for the '06 during WWII.

IMR 4350 is too slow burning for the Garand. It has too high a gas pressure at the gas port because with its slow burning rate the pressure has not dropped near the muzzle to the same degree it has with faster burning powders.

That means that after a while it often bends the operating rods on Garands, which is pretty much curable only by buying a replacement op rod...to the tune of $100 or more. (And, if you have to do that, get a surplus military one...many of the aftermarket replacements are junk)

IMR 4350 may shoot accurately enough at first, and it performs quite well in bolt guns, but it is not the ticket for use in Garands. Bent op rods can cause both functioning and accuracy problems.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you would like to introduce some excitement into your reloading, there have been reports of excellent results with RL-17 with 165 gr in 30-06.
Just an option.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.. I am going to try Rx17 with a 165gr Sierra Spitzer BT soon. And I was wondering if anyone has tried any IMR4007 with 165gr'ers in '06?

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Slabsides45,

RL22 will work good in your 7mm Mag and very possibly your 25-06. I suggest powders along the line of IMR4350, H4350, or H414 in your 30-06 with 165 gr bullets. I use H414 but YMMV.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
If you would like to introduce some excitement into your reloading, there have been reports of excellent results with RL-17 with 165 gr in 30-06.
Just an option.

x2 you will be selling all your 4350 & Rl22 &19
If you use Rl 17 its amazing for velocity & accuracy almost 1/4min at 300yards with 165gr BT Noslers .920" just under 2900fps could go higher
manitou

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After using RL22 in the '06 with 165's for years I have a few ideas about it...

And excuse me for using non-technical language to convey meaning....

It seems to me that RL22 hs a certain critical nature and unilee you get it TO that critical point it won't work for you.

Remember that the publish "weight limits" in ALL loading books that show loads for RL22 in the 30-06 are actually VOLUME limits, in simple fact it isn't possible to fit "too much" in there, the problems lie in not managing to get enough in to make it "happy".

I've found that in most cases working up the load with a hot primer helps build pressure early and gets RL22 working.

RL22 either needs more containment, more propellant or more igntion.

Yeah, a lot of people haven't gotten it to work for them, but if you get it to "work" for you, you'll love it.

You'll notice as you increase the load the muzzle will grow, but as you approach the critical point that the muzzle flash sharply dimishes. that tells you you are close.

And as you get there you'll know from how difficult it is to get the full charge into the case if you are going to be happy with it...

Winchester brass... it tends to be (IMO/E) more brittle
and shorter lived than other brass, but it's THINNER so it's slightly easier to get a big charge in the case.

I have ONE 30-06 rifle that I've made work with it, other rifles have passed into other hands, the most recent one to someone that believes that IMR4064 behind 150's are the cat's ass... something that particular rifle liked very much.

IF you are using any primer other than Fed215s back off a a couple grains and work back up. IMO the really hot cap makes RL22 shine.

IF you are fortunate enough to have a barrel that likes it...

What Am I using? 64.8gr (100% weighed charges)
carefully vibrated down into a neck sized Winchester case topped with a 165gr Accubond and ignited with a Federal 215 Magnum Primer.

One caveat... RL22 varies from lot to lot.
There are "happy" lots and "less happy" lots

a slightly faster than average lot makes speed with 165's in an '06 fairly easy.

a slower than normal lot will make the attempt an exercise in misery.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote