New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble at the Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a heard a few stories of incidents like this happening with the Glock pistols. I have read that it is caused by the chamber not being fully supported. I understand that is by design on Glocks. I do not know for sure if the XD has that same feature or if that is a contributing factor in this case.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by hdog:

Dane,
It was suggested, and may be, that this bullet was set back (could it be from recoil?) a bit. I measure every 4th or 5th OAL while setting the bullet. I also do the taper crimp as a seperate operation. The bullet is Speer 180gr. FMJ.

Recoil can set bullets back so can repeated loading into the chamber.

I wonder if it wasn't a partial out of battery firing. I seen that happen with a Glock I use a lee bulge buster die on all my 40 reloads and check to make sure they chamber properly.

I also load 40s on the light end of loadings. I have reloaded many 10s of thousands of 45 and 9mm with out trouble the 40 seem to take more care.

It well be interisting what you find out

An XD can't fire out of battery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
A Kimber SOLO came into the shop recently with a live round jammed in the chamber and unable to eject. Customer said he fired it several times until he got the stoppage. I removed the round by forcing the slide back. This resulted in de-bulleting the case and spilling powder. The bullet was firmly lodged in the rifling and had to be removed with a rod. Turns out the chamber was not finish reamed and the gun was firing out of battery the whole time. Moral is that it is possible you could have a pistol with a short chamber.

XD barrel is fully supported

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hdog:
This is my XD 40 after firing the 3rd round of reloads. They are 185gr under 5gr of TiteGroup. I have fired several before without incident. I am always careful to look into case after powder charge with a flashlight to make sure I haven't double dipped. Any ideas...1: what may have happened...2: how to get this brass out of barrel. I am not able to field strip, it is stuck.

The slide can be removed through the magwell. the pin in the top of the slide can be hammered out with a long punch through the bottom. This will permit the striker assembly to be removed, facilitating the slide to release from the frame.

At that point the barrel can be removed from the slide and the remnants of the brass punched out.

posted Hide Post
The 40 SW is a great round but it requires more attention when reloading than most others like the old 45. High pressure with low case capacity requires a good crimp as they won't handle any bullet set back, the set back usually occurs on feeding in most pistols. To be safe I stay well back from max loads and fast powders, Clays is the worst offender and has caused a lot of kabooms with just a little bullet set back. Tightgroup is a little more forgiving.

If you are dipping I'd back the load up a bit more to give you a little
more headroom and think about a powder measure. The 40 requires a lot more attention than even the 9 because of the heavier bullets.

I'll just about guarantee you your pistol didn't fire out of battery.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the result of the repair to my 40 XD. My gunsmith could not complete the repair, as Springfield will not sell the tool or the extractor replacement. So, he had to send it to the factory. They replaced the extractor, loaded chamber indicator and indicator spring. Can the extractor be damaged or destroyed by a heavy charge, or was this caused by out of battery? Factory did not give any details.

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: 21 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, if your pistol fires out of battery and releases gas, the extractor will be toast. bent.
But, if your pistol, or any pistol, fires un-locked then you have a big problem with the disconnector; it's not working. Everyone, tonight, check all your pistols for this condition and don't fire them until you get it fixed. A short chamber is not the issue; it should not fire unlocked, period.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sifting through all of the suspects, the RCBS scale emerges as the prime culprit.

It's performance and accuracy are UNACCEPTIBLE.

Those units are known for "overthrow" and some users have invented their own home remedy "fix" i.e the McDonalds vs Taco Bell straws.

You need to get on the phone with RCBS. They know the score. This won't be the first time they heard it.

It's in the speed change and timing.

The gun itself enjoys a remarkable reputation for reliability.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HDOG

I'm not satisfied by a millisecond that this issue has been resolved. Thus I spent much more dwell time researching. Further I phoned John at RCBS tech support and we has an in depth conversation.

What I have found is that there have been many problems by many reloaders with this product for many years. However, the product enjoys a very good reputation and RCBS tech support has received very high accolades .

The problems are, for the most part, very high tech, peripheral issues not actually connected to the unit itself but rather some physics.

When I spoke to John at RCBS tech support today we covered many of the 2 dozen peripheral issues, as well as RCBS QC/QA quality assurance/quality control.

I'm just amplifying that your unit needs to be cleaned up. revamped, recalibrated and be brought up to RCBS conformity.

SOPC ops also need to be understood and complied with.

At your option I will elaborate if interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wetibbe,
I would like to get your detailed info. If you will, email me at hdog@bellsouth.net. Thanks for your input.

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: 21 October 2010Reply With Quote