Find
Notify
Tools

Should I Polish The Case Mouth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Should I polish the case mouth of my brass. I have used scotch bright and a cordless screwdriver as well as doing nothing more than running a brush by hand into the mouth. What's your insight?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, I don't think it's necessary, just a little brush to make sure there isn't any chunky deposits in the neck. Having said that, I don't think you'll hurt anything, consistency is the key, polishing could (probably does) reduce neck tension, as long as you're getting consistency (on the target, or through the chrono--whatever) no issue.

Good Shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Do whatever makes your little heart go flip-flop...

But, I don't think you are going to gain anything by do it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a VLD degree chamfering tool. The angle on the common inside neck chamfering tools is too sharp and leaves a sharp edge that cuts into the bullet.

VLD

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted

I never do anything to polish the insides of the necks. I just tumble it and do my regular case prep and chamfer the necks. Time to load.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Ted

I use a 22 caliber brass brush on a screw in plastic handle and wrap it with 000 steel wool. The brass brush will hold onto it and you can wind pieces of steel wool around it until it is close to inside neck diameter. The steel wool will take off all the burrs and scratches and will make for more uniform bullet release, IMO.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ted, I do the same as Woods, except I use a sloghtly Larger piece of 0000 Steel Wool. As my brush enters the Case Mouth it contacts the Steel Wool and wraps "over" the edge, thus polishing both the inside and outside.

From a whole lot of shooting, it appears to me that there are fewer Fliers when the Case Mouth is polished.

But, I'd not argue with anyone who felt it isn't necessary. Maybe they are right. It is my time to use as I see fit, so I do it.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anothe vote for the VLD chamferer. I got a Lyman and took it out of the wood handle. You can then use it in a electric drill or as I do in my RCBS trimmate. Works really really nice and costs probably less than $15---also a must for coated bullets.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also polish the inside of the case, primer pocket etc, etc.