Find
Notify
Tools

trim tool for 6,5x57R?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!

I am looking for a LEE case length gauge and shell holder that will fit the 6,5x57R, but cannot find any in their list.

6,5x57R
Max length 56,69 mm. Trim to 56,44 mm.

The closest I can find is the 257 Roberts
Max length 56,72 mm. Trim to 56,46 mm.
I suspect the 7x57mm are too wide to fit the neck of the 6,5mm case, and the 257 will thus have more space.

Is this the right path to go, or is there any easier way to trim the cases with the lee equipment? I might also need another case holder for the lock stud.

Sincerely

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should work with .257r rod!

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huglu,

I really like the Lee Case Chamber Length Tools. By using your imagination you can add some non-factory offerings to your collection, too.

I load for the 6.5x55, 6.5x57 & 6.5x57R.

Lee only makes a factory stem for the 6.5x55. For the 6.5x57 and 6.5x57R I simply "extended" the cutting stem by filling the base of the hole in the cutter so the 6.5x55 cutting stem wouldn't seat quite flush. This added 2mm and now there is a small gap between the Cutter & the Edge of the Cuting Stem but WTF - Over? It works fine.

FWIW - Lee will make you a custom Cutting Stem (not Shellholder - you will have to use the "Fits All" shellholder) but they are pretty spendy IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents!
Thanks for replies!
I might just use a 1,5-2mm washer on my 6,5x55 stem then. With the washer / ring on, I trim the x57 cases and without I use the x55 cases.

Sincerely

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

I considered the washer idea but couldn't find any small enough; but have to admit I didn't pursue this approach too long either.

Also didn't have the patience to make one but the idea certainly has merit.

Filling the hole in the Cutter is a pretty good method. After all the measuring is done I glue all the Bits & Pieces together.

They then become a dedicated Gauge Tool for a specific cartridge case.

I've done the 6.5x57 and 6.5x57R using a 6.5x55 stem and also the 5.6x50R Magnum by using a .22-250 Remington stem.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee charges about $19 for a custom case length gauge for their trimmer.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cg...USTOMCASELENGTHGAUGE

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote