New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS-6 or AA-5 for 45ACP
 Login/Join

<Dyno>
posted
I would like to get some input on how HS#6 and AA#5 compare in 45ACP 230gr full power loads. Do they both burn clean,are they both accurate ? Any comparative input for folks that have used these two powers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dyno

<Dave>
posted
I never have used AA#5, but I use HS 6 a lot in my 12 ga and .44 Spl. It is not particularly clean, but it is powerful. In my 12 ga, I load 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot and it is the best pattern of any load I have and the book says it is over 1300 fps. Extra good hunting load.

The .44 will make your hand sting with ~8-9 gr behind a 240 gr lead bullet. Don't know how fast it is. When you eject the empties, you get a hand full of dirt with the shells. I switched to Universal Clays in hopes that it would be cleaner. It is a little, but not as powerful. Next I guess I will try H4227.

------------------
Davis Chase

<Dan in Wa>
posted
They are both slow powders, but I get good accurate loads with AA#5 and 200gr.SWC.
Yes they dirty.

<Dyno>
posted
Thanks Guys for your info on the powders,I am looking to buy some powder for 45acp full power loads using 230gr fmj and am leaning towards AA#5 at this time.

Dyno