New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57&H414?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can i use H414 powder with a 175gr.sierra SP in my 8x57 rifle?Does anyone use H414 in there 8mm?
What will be my start load and max? 50gr.H414 a safe/start load in 8x57?My book only shows h414 loads with the 200gr.bullets....
Thanks thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Even Hodgdon does not show H414 with the lighter bullets.

It's just too slow is my opinion.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H 414 is way too fast for a 8mm Mauser...the pressure is going to be low enough for even the old 318 bore Mausers....IMHO...

Actually if you are looking for max velocity with 175 grains and under bullets, try some of the more faster powders...that work well in a 223...

the 8mm Mauser is almost like a big 223....

I use 4198 and Reloader 7 when I load my 8 x 57s and want velocity with a 170 grain Speer which is my " to go to" bullet for that case....

one of my light weight 8 mm Mausers, I use two loads of SR 4759... one with 30 grains and one with 35 grains...

I kinda figured this out after loading the 444 Marlin and noticed the performance differences of the fast powders vs the medium burn rate powders in the 444... tried the same logic to the 8 x 57 and it worked also, with the 175 grainers and lighter....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
H 414 is way too fast for a 8mm Mauser...:

homerJohn, Am I missing something here? Edit stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He had to mean too slow, since it's slower than N150 and RL15, which seem to be the go to powders according to Nosler, Vhitavory and Hornady. H414 is certainly an excellent performer in the 57mm case in 6mm, .257 and 7mm bores. I believe it's just too slow for the big .323 bore. Still I'd like to see if it would work with 180 or 200 grainers like the Barnes bullets or 220 Hornadys/Speers. The best load Nosler has is a compressed load I forget the powder right now.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked in my big Hodgdon manual/book and H414 was listed with the 175gr.bullet at 49,0gr start load & 54.0gr, max.I loaded 49gr. and got great accuracy so iam going to load up 50gr.& quit right there if everything looks good.I have read a bunch on the H414 and it seems to be a great powder for all kinds of stuff,everything from 243 to 375H&H,they claim its perfect for 30-06.It has filled the case up on the 8mm case and thats what i wanted....Thanks for the help. thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
H 414 is way too fast for a 8mm Mauser...:

homerJohn, Am I missing something here? Edit stirroger

Roge,

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE H 414 and burn a lot of it in my 6.5 ,and 6mm Calibers....

Blackbearhunter liked the full case, so that is cool... I don't like a compressed load...

I also have found that I can get higher velocity out of much slower powders, with less recoil... with 50 to 54 grains of powder, you still are getting 50 to 54 grains of explosion in your case, and the accompanying recoil...

but your velocity isn't much...

And as Planemech pointed out.... " Wrong Way Corrigan/Seafire"... it is way too slow, not way too fast....

Another classic Seafire homer Moment...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote