New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Wyatt: 225 grainers at 3450 fps!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Based on the post asking which 35 to use or purchase, I thought I would pass on some info on a round that one of our local gunsmiths is selling and promoting, the 35 Wyatt.

Kevin Wyatt is a Medford Oregon based gunsmith. Not only a fantastic gunsmith but a great down to earth guy.

I was over at his shop a few days ago and he was showing another customer his Elk rifle. It was a Model 70 with a Kevlar or Synthetic stock, it and the entire barrel were camo'ed in a pattern that looked stealthy, one also noticed the muzzle ported on the end of the barrel.

I asked him what did he have it chambered in and he said his 35 Wyatt. Being a gunsmith, it is kinda cool having a rifle with a chambering after you own name and idea.

Kevin is a modest kinda guy, but he gave me a few statistics on performance figures, that I thought might interest some of you Macho Elk Hunting guys ( I get by with a 338/06, 30/06 or a 7 x 57 myself).

225 grain bullet at 3450 fps! The 35 Wyatt is a 404 Jeffery Necked down to hold the 35 caliber bore bullets.

If anyone is interested in more info, Kevin's website is www.wyattsoutdoor.com

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds very optimistic or "Chrony brand" enhanced.

Here is 358/378 from realguns

Sierra GameKing 2850 225 358" 3.580" 129.4 Reloder 22 118.0 CCI 250 3310 5475 1.9"
Sierra GameKing 2850 225 358" 3.580" 129.4 IMR 7828 119.0 CCI 250 3330 5551 2.0"

I have had 3450 from 378 Wby which coresponds fairly well to real guns given the smaller 358 bore size.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to really crank mine up with 225's, but that does sound high. That said, I'm pretty confident from what I've seen that mine will come awefully close to the 358-378 but using MUCH less powder!
Wyatt and I aren't the only ones to do a 358-404; Roger (Bartsche?) from here has one he made a decade ago.
If Wyatt's is seated out to 3.8" and in a 26" bbl, it just might do that. Who knows. Wonder if he's pressure tested it or just run it up to see how fast.
At any rate, I'm sure it's a screamer. Hell, the STA is a screamer. I see the .358" caliber as more a bruiser than a cruiser; just not the selection of high-bc bullets like the .338" has for those lightweight lightening-bolt shots.
Give me a 280g A-Frame at 2850 or more and I'm good farther than I can shoot.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 3200 fps with 225 grain bullets, using a max of 92 grains of RL-22 powder with one of my STA's. The second STA I shoot will consistently be 50 to 150 fps slower with the same loads. I have no interest in burning more powder to get 100 to 150 fps more speed. I certainly not interested in burning another 30 grains of powder for little gain in speed. ----- My fast rifle also shoots 270 grain North Forks 2950 to 3000 fps and is a super penetrator. My son shot a Bull Elk through the shoulders at 125 yards and killed a mature Cow 25 yards beyond the Bull, with the 270 grain North Fork bullet inbedding in the offside of the Cranium in the Cow. No problem identifying the bullet after digging it out, because we were the only hunters on the mountain using North Forks. I also shoot the Swift A-Frame 280 grain bullets but find the North Forks more consistantly accurate. If they make a .358 bullet I have shot it at sometime, with the exception of the new Barnes Triple Shock. The fast 35's are awesome chamberings, particularily with todays choice of good bullets. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HUH...my 375 RUM only does 3376 with a 225 gr Hornady...

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want that kind of power I reckon the .378 weatherby or .375 RUM would be a smarter alternative for the simple fact of correctly head stamped brass and maybe some more bullet choice in .375.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"Wyatt and I aren't the only ones to do a 358-404; Roger (Bartsche?) from here has one he made a decade ago."

The one of mine that Bwana speaks of is blown out for max capacity and will push a 225 gr. bullet a little over 3200 fps maybe 3300. From measurements on the case and appearance of the primers that's about as far as I wanted to go. The 250s can be pushed to a little over 3100fps. Hey ,Prop Job, you better have Wyatt build you one of those. Imagine Blue Dotting with a blown out 404 case. eek2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Roger, one of those with Blue Dot and maybe 4759 is about all I'd burn in it. I'll have to check with Kevin and see what kinda load he is using on that.

Kevin is a modest guy so when he says something, I have always found you could bank on it.

PC:

Some of we Yanks at times just like to have something that you won't find someone else in the woods with. MY own personal one I love is my 6.5 mm Seafire. It will give me 3400 fps or so with a 100 grain bullet, out of its 27 inch barrel on a Model 70 action. So far I have taken several deer at long range with it. It is just nice having your name on something.

Oh Details on the 6.5 mm Seafire? (Well anyone who is not into wildcats or exotic cartridges just call it a 6.5 x 57, but Don't tell anyone that, or they will not think it is as cool sounding as the 6.5 mm Seafire, KNow whut I mean Vern?)

Cheers and Good shooting
6.5 x 57 mm Seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[Point taken seafire, I ought to talk building 50-110's and .585's, no real need for either there just different beer

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
[Point taken seafire, I ought to talk building 50-110's and .585's, no real need for either there just different beer

PC:

What has NEED got to do with it? Turning into a liberal or something? LoL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those Doubting minds, the load data I got for the 35 Wyatt was as follows:

100 grains of H 4831 SC
Fed 210 primer
Nosler 225 grain partition.

Anyone not believing anything can be more than happy to contact Kevin at www.wyattsoutdoor.com

cheers
seafire
thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Seafire, did he tell you by chance what COL he was using?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I have not read all the thread so might have missed it but what is barrel lenghth and what sort of chronograph.

And Ultra case on 358 pushing 225s as fast as the bigger 378 case on the bigger 375 bore has me wondering. Plus that bloke on realguns.com is not noted for light loads.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana:

YOu'd have to contact Kevin on that. I saw a loaded round and it was not protruding out of the case very excessively.

Mike 375:

The barrel length is 26 inches and Kevin uses the Oehler chronograph, the Model 43 I believe it is.

If I had one, I'd try it. But I have no need for one. If I ever bought a magnum again, it would be for nostalgia, and the only two I'd readily go with are a 375 H & H and a 416 Rigby.

I did see a limited production run of 300 H & H's with a stainless barrel and grey laminated stock on a Ruger # 1 action that I could find a spot in the old rifle cabinet for also.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb