Find
Notify
Tools

.43 Spanish with Cream of Wheat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I was thinking of loading some .43 Spanish cartridges for an old rolling block with some IMR 4198. 28 grains has been suggested with a fiber wad then Dacron filler.

An old man I know told me to load them with 28 grains of IMR 4198 then just fill the case to the base of the bullet with "Cream of Wheat".

Anyone care to comment on that idea???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 71 and 71/84 11mm (.43) Mausers and use Dacron. Works very well. Don't think there's any advantage to the COW.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
doing quite a bit of downloading all the time, with 4198, RL 7 or SR 4759... you really don't need to put any fillers in the case on about any cartridge...

they ignite easily enough with today's primers and aren't really position sensitive in the case...

yet when you add any filler in a case, even if left over tumbling media is left in there accidently, it will increase pressures...

check out cast bullet manuals..I have seen the old 43 Spanish in some...

if you don't want to go the fast powder route... using powders like 8700 or so will give you a full case of powder and low pressure when you shoot it...

IIRC, the 43 Spanish is close to the good old 45/70 in capacity.... starting loads in the old Springfield trapdoor data for similar weight bullets would be a good starting point....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I would like to know specifically if the cartridges were loaded with an appropriate charge and filled with Cream of Wheat is that an accptable and used method or was that something I should disregard as witchcraft?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
There are powders out there that are not position sensitive..and position sensitivity is the only reason for fillers...

not witchcraft, but why add something else that will increase pressures, in specifically old weak actions...

especially when you don't need to...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
seafire2,
Thank you for your responses and you make perfectly logical sense. And I am taking from your replys that IMR-4198 is NOT that position sensitive. Correct?

My other question that I am only curious about now is that of using Cream of Wheat as a filler.

If you deemed necessary to need a filler for a position sensitive powder, would the practice of using Cream of Wheat directly over a powder charge with out a wad in between be an accepted practice or not???

J. Lane Easter, DVM