Find
Notify
Tools

.223 12BVSS-S VLD results +
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
popcorn >223 Savage 12 BVSS-S, 11-14-07 Range results.
  • 70gr. VLD Berger, 23.5gr. 2230-C, nny cases,fed 200 primer, oal=2.355", 3 shot 3/8" group @50 yds.
  • 70gr. VLD Berger, 26gr. wcc846, FC cases, WSR primers, looks mild but blew last primer? 3 shot 3/8" @ 50yds., 3 shot 1" group @ 300yds.
  • 80 VLD Berger.24.1gr. DP74, Win cases, fc 200 primers, oal=2.470", 2731 to 2745 fps. 3" group at 50yds. REALLY BAD.
  • 55gr psp. win bulk, 24.7gr. acc2520, WW cases, WSR primers, Crimped. mild, 3" group at 300yds.
  • Same as above except FC 200 primers And different lot of bulk bullets. Results were allmost identical.

Looks like the 1-9 twist doesn't like the 80gr. VLDs. Past performance shows that it has no problem with 75gr. bullets. Fortunes of war. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of seafire2
    posted Hide Post
    Roger, I haven't tried the 80 grain Bergers thru mine. however, mine has no problem with the 80 grain Noslers, Sierras or the 80 gr AMax....

powder of choice has been 25 grains of IMR 4895 or 24 grains of H322.......or 25 grains of W 748...25 grains of Varget

my preference has been IMR 4895, or Varget..as has the rifles for the most accurate... 4064 has done a pretty darn good job also!

this is of course speaking about 80 grain bullets...

cheers
    john...
    beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafire2:
    Roger, I haven't tried the 80 grain Bergers thru mine. however, mine has no problem with the 80 grain Noslers, Sierras or the 80 gr AMax....

Try the 80gr VLDs and let me know your results. I think the length and shape make it a horse of a different color. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of seafire2
    posted Hide Post
    Roger,
    I don't have any 80 grain Bergers in my cabinet here....The Sierras and Noslers I have a ton of.. along with some of the 80 grain A Maxes, and 75 A Maxes....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    My cooper has a 1/9twist barrel, i think yours will be the same twist ? It shoots hornady 75 Amax superb with H4895 powder or Vit 140 I would give them a go through your rifle, i hope yours shoots then as good as mine. thumb

Work is the curse of the shooting man.

Posts: 23 | Location: UK | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote