Find
Notify
Tools

pierced primers and accurate 73 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
some of our recognized reloading gurus have reported using pistol primers in rifles. shame On one occasion I responded that I had pierced a bunch of 38 special pistol primers in my Ruger # 3 thumbdown

This feat was duplicated many, many times today with my CZ 527, in .222 with Federal 100 pistol primers.About 25 out of 50 were pierced. Those that were not pierced were pushed in so that the whole primer was concave. Frowner

You ask--why didn't I stop with the first leaker? bewildered The CZ seems to handle gas leaks rather well and I was using reduced loads of 4759.

Than again I have never been accused of being too bright. homer

Acc 73 load

100 gr. Mid South bulk soft point, at 2846 to 2966 fps pushed by 34gr. acc.73, mild, a little sooty 6 shot 1" grp. 1 flyer 1" out 50 yds. . Looks promising. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedDoes silence equate with understanding ?????????? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only used pistol primers in one centerfire rifle application, and that was the Hornet. Some guys claim better accuracy in the Hornet with pistol primers, I found no difference. Never pierced any, though. I think the softer cup of the pistol primer and a strong firing pin spring in the CZ are the reasons for the piercing. IMO, the best small rifle primers are Rem 7 1/2.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 7 1/2 being the best.

I have always gone the other way , 7 1/2 primers in my 357 mag loads.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
You ask--why didn't I stop with the first leaker? bewildered The CZ seems to handle gas leaks rather well and I was using reduced loads of 4759....
Hey Roger, I used Pistol Primers regularly over the 35 years I wrestled with various Hornets. That was in the Pre-Lil'Gun Powder eras and a Load would shoot just fine for a few days and then go all to clinton.

Finally,... let me stress that, FINALLY swapped the last Hornet I had in on a 20" S&S 223Rem M7 and it is as different as heil-ery and Mother Theresa.

I've also used Pistol Primers in the 223Rem while working-up Reduced Loads with "2400" as an additional level of Pressure Detection. They worked right well in that application and when they Indicated it was time to consider Stopping, the PRE was indicating Pressure below normal, but of course I wasn't trying to reach Normal Pressure.

Now I can have consistently Accurate "Hornet Level" Loads if I want them, or regular Safe MAX 223Rem Loads.

The only problem I see is if you increase the Pressure too far and begin having Pierced Primers, you can end up with your Bolt Face being damaged by the "Cutting Torch" effect of the escaping tiny gas jet.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:
I've also used Pistol Primers in the 223Rem while working-up Reduced Loads with "2400" as an additional level of Pressure Detection..

It really has happened to me a number of times over the years. In the 38 special rifle and now the CZ 527. It would appear that if you are using different manufacturer's primers, have a well radiused firing pin tip, and a modestly strong striker spring you would never get the pierced primers.Intrestingly enough; the velocities did not seem to be affected by the pierced primers.

I accidently picked up those primers Sat at the Orange County gun show for $10.00/k. I thought I was buying small rifle. Thought I'd test 50 to see what would happen. The accuracy was ok but the smoking bolt drew some attention.

Sold the primers to my cousin who loads a lot of pistol.

I probably will not duplicate this test again. Roll Eyesroger