Find
Notify
Tools

Herters Press and 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I ran a search on Herters and there seems to be a good following of people who use Herters reloading equipment. The picture below is my press. I also have the scale, powder measure, two sets of dies, shellholders, and case length guage. My Dad bought these items on February 16, 1966 for a total price of $59.00. I still have the receipt. The scale and measure need a little work but the press is indestructable. I have only loaded 45-70 with it, but plan on setting it up to load .458 Lott, which brings me to my question. As I have 8 pounds of H335 does anybody have any good loads for 500 grain Barnes TSX and or solids with the H335. I am looking for a velocity of between 2150 and 2200. If the H335 is not good for the Lott I will buy what I need, however the keg would last me a while. I will be shooting a MRC action and barrel. It will not be ready for Africa in September but I will have it for my next trip.

120 Days to Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread might be worth keeping an eye on,
458 Lott loads
recommendations in there for 4895 & Varget, slightly slower then H335 or AAC2230, a bit faster so you should be in the ball park with it for a powder. I also Googled for 458 Lott H335 powder & got a heap of references so it appears that it will be a suitable powder. A Guns Mag article from 2005 quotes a Hornady supplied load for their 500 gr SN & FMJ as 79 grs H335.Here.
Guns Mag 458 Lott.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I just saw H335 data on Barnes website, look under the reloading data page. And FYI they also have 450 grain .458 X bullets on clearance.
How do like your Lott?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, look under "Home..Technical..Load Data... .458 ... 458lott
And for the bullets (450 gr. XFB's) Home, Products, Closeouts, X bullets..

Enjoy!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do like your Lott?

The Lott is not in in yet. Hopefully MRC will have the action ready in two to three weeks and then off to the gunsmith.

I set up my retro Herters reloading bench. It is a strong smooth press. That is a 45-70 case in the shellholder.